Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by robert rowntree <ro...@mindspring.com> on 2002/02/12 22:19:48 UTC

encoding - black magic

i am new to catalina 4.0.1 on Win2K with only SP1.

between sucsessive tomcat startups using the default bat file
   = %tomcat_root% \bin\startup with 0 arguments,

 i am seeing file behavior with the "user database ( file" = %tomcat_root%
\conf\tomcat-users.xml  ) that i am unable to explain.

can someone shed lite on the situation described  below in 1 - 5:

1. exec "startup" with install version of tomcat-users  (  ...
encoding='Cp1252'?> )

    result is an exception saying the encoding is bad....

2. I edit file =  tomcat-users  change to (  ... encoding='UTF-8'?> )

3.  exec "startup" with my version of tomcat-users.xml ( i edited the file
with no name change )

   catalina starts and serves all the jsp examples OK   BUT on SHUTDown the
BLACK MAGIC

4. when i execute "shutdown" there is an inexplicable reversion of the
encoding in file =tomcat-users.xml WITH NO indication in the file attributes
that it was updated by any application ?????????????

HOWDIDYOUDOTHAT???????????????  change the encoding back to the crummy
default 'Cp1252' without living any fingerprints

5. The next startup of catalina produces the error as in # 1

  System does not support the specified encoding. Line 1, Position 40

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='Cp1252'?>