Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Tejas Patil <te...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/01 06:37:15 UTC

Re: Random Broker/Partition for Producer

Nope. The property "metadata.broker.list" in producer.properties [0] is
just used to fetch the metadata about which broker owns which
[topic-partition]. Based on this info, the producer data is routed to the
relevant leader broker.

By default Kafka uses DefaultPartitioner [1] which is used to randomly
assign [topic-partitions] amongst the available brokers. Once a broker is
fixed as a leader for a [topic-partition], all messages for that
[topic-partition] will end up to that fixed broker (until that broker dies,
re-balancing occurs or you run the re-assign partitions tool). I believe
that this cannot be changed via any config.

[0] : https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/0.8/config/producer.properties
[1] :
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/0.8/core/src/main/scala/kafka/producer/DefaultPartitioner.scala