Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "M. Goodell" <fr...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/22 15:41:13 UTC

[Axis2] Release timeframe for Axis2 & Other options

Two questions:

  First, is there a timeframe for a release date for Axis2? If so what is it? We would like to know so we can plan accordingly.

  2. What are my choices other than Axis when developing web services? We would like to look them.

  Thank you.

---------------------------------

Re: [Axis2] Release timeframe for Axis2 & Other option

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

Please look at this thread [1], especially the list of blockers [2].
Given that, my gut feeling is that it will take 2-4 weeks to fix all
the bugs and stabilize the code.

thanks,
dims

[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12311157

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
You have tons of options for developing web services in Java:
- Every Java EE app server includes a web services framework. J2EE 1.4
requires support for JAX-RPC; Java EE 5 requires support for JAX-WS.
- Sun provides reference implementations of JAX-RPC and JAX-WS
(distributed in JWSDP or open source through Project Glassfish)
- Every ESB product includes a web services framework. Examples
include BEA AquaLogic Service Bus, Cape Clear ESB, Fiorano ESB, IBM
WebSphere ESB, IBM WebSphere Process Server, IBM WebSphere Message
Broke, IONA Artix, Oracle ESB, Sonic ESB, Tibco BusinessWorks, and
webMethods Fabric
- Open source ESBs include Mule, ServiceMix, and Celtix. JBoss is
developing one, too, which should be available by the end of the year
- Commercial pure-play web services frameworks include Systinet Server
for Java and webMethods Glue
- Open source pure-play web services frameworks (in addition to Apache
SOAP, Axis, and Axis2) include JiBXSOAP and CodeHaus XFire.

I'm sure I've missed a few.

Anne