Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jason Liu <jl...@corp.phone.com> on 2000/10/20 13:30:14 UTC

How to use gcc to build mod_perl

Hi,

I was trying to build mod_perl 1.24_01 and apache 1.3.14.  I used the
following command:

perl Makefile.PL
make test && make install

The Makefile wants to use the "cc" compiler.  Can I use "gcc" instead?

Thanks,

Jason

Re: How to use gcc to build mod_perl

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi all,

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Rob Tanner wrote:

> BEWARE: The modperl build picks up the CC variable value from the perl
> build.  I don't know whether that was done simply as a matter of
> convenience (i.e., the perl build process thoroughly tested the
> compiler for the required capabilities so why redesign the wheel) or
> whether there's some necessity that modperl be built with the same
> compiler.

Perl and mod_perl must be built with the same compiler.  It's documented.

73,
Ged.

Re: How to use gcc to build mod_perl

Posted by Rob Tanner <rt...@cheshire.onlinemac.com>.
--On 10/20/00 04:30:14 AM -0700 Jason Liu <jl...@corp.phone.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was trying to build mod_perl 1.24_01 and apache 1.3.14.  I used the
> following command:
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> make test && make install
>
> The Makefile wants to use the "cc" compiler.  Can I use "gcc" instead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Hmmm...   Never had that happen before  ;-)

The simplest solution is:

  perl Makefile.PL
  make CC=gcc test && make install

Putting "CC=gcc" as an argument to make overrides the CC variable in
the Makefile.

BEWARE: The modperl build picks up the CC variable value from the perl
build.  I don't know whether that was done simply as a matter of
convenience (i.e., the perl build process thoroughly tested the
compiler for the required capabilities so why redesign the wheel) or
whether there's some necessity that modperl be built with the same
compiler.  Thus, if you change the default compiler as shown above, you
may or may not end up up to your neck in alligators.  Without knowing
for sure the answer to the question, I'd rebuild perl with gcc.

-- Rob

     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  rtanner@cheshire.onlinemac.com