Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2009/09/14 19:35:15 UTC

Re: svn commit: r814743 - /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/STATUS

trawick@apache.org wrote:

> Author: trawick
> Date: Mon Sep 14 17:25:07 2009
> New Revision: 814743

> Log:
> promote, demote

With everything moved around, I am assuming you are referring to this:

 * htdbm: Avoid buffer overflows.
   PR: 30586
   Trunk patch: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=797563
   2.2.x patch: http://people.apache.org/~poirier/patch-2.2.x-PR30586.txt
   +1: poirier, minfrin
   -1: trawick (Memory use for dumping the database is now unbounded; it
                doesn't even look difficult to avoid allocating/copying.)

Can you be more specific?

Regards,
Graham

Re: svn commit: r814743 - /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/STATUS

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

> trawick@apache.org wrote:
>
> > Author: trawick
> > Date: Mon Sep 14 17:25:07 2009
> > New Revision: 814743

> > Log:
> > promote, demote
>
> With everything moved around, I am assuming you are referring to this:
>
>  * htdbm: Avoid buffer overflows.
>   PR: 30586
>    Trunk patch: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=797563
>   2.2.x patch: http://people.apache.org/~poirier/patch-2.2.x-PR30586.txt<http://people.apache.org/%7Epoirier/patch-2.2.x-PR30586.txt>
>   +1: poirier, minfrin
>    -1: trawick (Memory use for dumping the database is now unbounded; it
>                doesn't even look difficult to avoid allocating/copying.)
>
> Can you be more specific?

For each key in the database*: allocate memory from a pool, without
releasing the pool memory

*unbounded

I followed up to the original commit with suggested fixes.

Re: svn commit: r814743 - /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/STATUS

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

>>  * htdbm: Avoid buffer overflows.
>>    PR: 30586
>>    Trunk patch: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=797563
>>    2.2.x patch: http://people.apache.org/~poirier/patch-2.2.x-PR30586.txt
>>    +1: poirier, minfrin
>>    -1: trawick (Memory use for dumping the database is now unbounded; it
>>                 doesn't even look difficult to avoid allocating/copying.)
>>
>> Can you be more specific?
>
> Plus I guess you should also raise a veto on the trunk revision r797563.

Jeff just did, I can't see how patch-2.2.x-PR30586.txt could be vetoed
and not 797563. :)

Regards,
Graham

Re: svn commit: r814743 - /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/STATUS

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 09/14/2009 07:35 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> > trawick@apache.org wrote:
> >
> >> Author: trawick
> >> Date: Mon Sep 14 17:25:07 2009
> >> New Revision: 814743

> >> Log:
> >> promote, demote
> >
> > With everything moved around, I am assuming you are referring to this:
> >
> >  * htdbm: Avoid buffer overflows.
> >    PR: 30586
> >    Trunk patch: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=797563
> >    2.2.x patch:
> http://people.apache.org/~poirier/patch-2.2.x-PR30586.txt<http://people.apache.org/%7Epoirier/patch-2.2.x-PR30586.txt>
> >    +1: poirier, minfrin
> >    -1: trawick (Memory use for dumping the database is now unbounded; it
> >                 doesn't even look difficult to avoid allocating/copying.)
> >
> > Can you be more specific?
>
> Plus I guess you should also raise a veto on the trunk revision r797563.

Perhaps I'm not the only one getting mail out of order today ;)

(I did follow up to the trunk commit and expand further on my 2.2.x/STATUS
comment, though that response didn't use the magic strings "-1" or "veto".)

Re: svn commit: r814743 - /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/STATUS

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 09/14/2009 07:35 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> trawick@apache.org wrote:
>
>> Author: trawick
>> Date: Mon Sep 14 17:25:07 2009
>> New Revision: 814743

>> Log:
>> promote, demote
>
> With everything moved around, I am assuming you are referring to this:
>
>  * htdbm: Avoid buffer overflows.
>    PR: 30586
>    Trunk patch: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=797563
>    2.2.x patch: http://people.apache.org/~poirier/patch-2.2.x-PR30586.txt
>    +1: poirier, minfrin
>    -1: trawick (Memory use for dumping the database is now unbounded; it
>                 doesn't even look difficult to avoid allocating/copying.)
>
> Can you be more specific?

Plus I guess you should also raise a veto on the trunk revision r797563.

Regards

RĂ¼diger