Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> on 2007/03/16 20:10:33 UTC

Merging python, C++ from 0-9 to trunk.

Now that we've got an M2 branch I'll start merging. Be aware of what
you're committing and make sure it goes on the right branch.
If you have work that belongs on both, do it on M2 and use svnmerge.py
to merge it to the trunk.

Cheers,
Alan.

Re: Merging python, C++ from 0-9 to trunk.

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.
I was wondering the same thing. Thinking about it, the change set on the
branch will be smaller than the trunk, assuming only small bug fix patches
are applied from here in on the M2 branch. The change set on the trunk will
be large, as 0.9 is merged in, creating a lot of work to scan and
selectively pick out changes to apply to the branch. The smaller M2 branch
change set will be easier to work with, most changes will merge to trunk,
and the possibility of accidentally merging 0.9 stuff into M2 is avoided.

Therefore, for changes that must be applied to both trunk and M2, I'm with
working on M2 and merging to trunk.

Rupert

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> Why wouldn't you do the work on trunk and merge to M2?
>
> On 16/03/07, Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Now that we've got an M2 branch I'll start merging. Be aware of what
>> you're committing and make sure it goes on the right branch.
>> If you have work that belongs on both, do it on M2 and use svnmerge.py
>> to merge it to the trunk.
The trunk will contain forward-looking changes that must not be merged
to M2. M2 will have minor fixes that will almost always also be
applicable to trunk. It's safe to merge M2->trunk but not the other way,
you might accidentally merge post-M2 changes that would wreck the M2
branch (e.g. 0-9 features.)

In general release branches should be treated more conservatively than
development branches: merging from is always more conservative than
merging to ;)

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie