Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Utting <ma...@cs.waikato.ac.nz> on 2011/10/19 03:40:08 UTC

Upgrade to svn 1.7 on cygwin causes W155007 not a working copy?

sometimes?
Which leaves me with a useless working copy...

Details:
I updated my Cygwin installation recently, which (unexpectedly) gave me an
upgrade to svn 1.7.
This is on a Windows 7 64-bit Dell Latitude E6520.
$ svn --version
svn, version 1.7.0 (r1176462)
   compiled Oct 11 2011, 10:36:16

Since svn 1.7 was incompatible with my existing working copy, I did 'svn
upgrade' in my top-level directory, which contains several projects from
different SVN repositories.  It removed all the .svn directories in most of
those subdirectories (all the ones that belonged to my main SVN repository),
but then failed to create a top-level .svn directory!

This made my working copy useless.  But I thought maybe this 'bug' happened
because there were working copies from multiple repositories within that
directory (which is a convenient way to work, with Eclipse).  So I decided
to do something simpler to see if I could work around this bug.

So I did a fresh svn checkout into a new directory, which worked fine.
(Except that Eclipse could not read the new-style working copy, and gave
several warnings about this, so I eventually upgraded its subclipse plugin
as well, to version 1.8.0 using the "JavaHL (JNI) 1.7.0 (r1176462)" client).

After working normally for that day, the next day I got the same error:

    svn: warning: W155007: '/cygdrive/c/marku/qut/networkmodel' is not a
working copy

Once again, the top-level .svn folder had completely disappeared!  Leaving
my working copy useless.
Note that that 'networkmodel' directory was a fresh checkout with svn 1.7,
so contains only projects from one repository (which is a svn 1.6 repository
I think).

I did a full system disk scan for disk errors, no problems reported.

Has anyone else had problems like this since upgrading to svn 1.7?

Is it possible that the Eclipse plugin is deleting the top-level .svn
directory?

Thanks
Mark

Re: Upgrade to svn 1.7 on cygwin causes W155007 not a working copy?

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:10 AM, Mark Utting <ma...@cs.waikato.ac.nz> wrote:
> Daniel and everyone,
>
> On 19 October 2011 19:40, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>>
>> Mark Utting wrote on Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:40:08 +1000:
>> > sometimes?
>> > Which leaves me with a useless working copy...
>> >

>> Do you have some cron job or other background process that walks around
>> and randomly deletes files or directories?
>
> Nope.
>

>> > Since svn 1.7 was incompatible with my existing working copy, I did 'svn
>> > upgrade' in my top-level directory, which contains several projects from
>> > different SVN repositories.  It removed all the .svn directories in most
>> > of
>> > those subdirectories (all the ones that belonged to my main SVN
>> > repository),
>> > but then failed to create a top-level .svn directory!
>>
>> Actually, it doesn't "create" a top-level .svn dir; it re-uses the .svn
>> dir in the root of the 1.6 wc for itself.
>
> Yes, well this is the directory that is disappearing every day or so.  It
> has happened four times so far, and is a real pain, because it means that
> the working copy is completely disconnected from the repository, and you
> cannot use any svn commands like svn status or svn diff.  Requires lots of
> manual diff commands to copy changes across to a new checkout.
>
> I've found that if I take a backup copy of the .svn directory after each
> commit, I can restore it when the .svn directory disappears, which is at
> least a workaround.
>
> The only pattern I've noticed is that the times this has happened is when
> I've had Eclipse open on that working copy, and have put my laptop into
> sleep/hibernate node.  After it starts up again, the .svn directory is gone
> (sometimes!).

Well, it's obviously something in Eclipse then. I don't think SVN
itself can be the cause of this. Maybe something with the way Eclipse
monitors changes to files, or ignores certain files? Are you using
Subclipse, or Subversive? Maybe it's an issue with one of those
plugins, or with Eclipse itself (maybe try to ask your question on the
respective mailinglists)?

> Anyway, this has been such a pain that I've given up on svn 1.7 and have
> downgraded back to 1.6.17 (r1128011).
>
> I suppose the git-svn frontend might be another option?

Another option for what? What are you trying to achieve? Of course
git-svn is an option, it's always an option, whether you are on svn
1.6 or 1.7. Feel free to use it or to give it a try, but we can't
really give any advice about this if you don't tell us what you're
after...

--
Johan

Re: Upgrade to svn 1.7 on cygwin causes W155007 not a working copy?

Posted by Mark Utting <ma...@cs.waikato.ac.nz>.
Daniel and everyone,

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Mark Utting <ma...@cs.waikato.ac.nz> wrote:
> sometimes?
> Which leaves me with a useless working copy...
>

> Details:
> I updated my Cygwin installation recently, which (unexpectedly) gave me an
> upgrade to svn 1.7.
> This is on a Windows 7 64-bit Dell Latitude E6520.
> $ svn --version
> svn, version 1.7.0 (r1176462)
>    compiled Oct 11 2011, 10:36:16
>
> Since svn 1.7 was incompatible with my existing working copy, I did 'svn
> upgrade' in my top-level directory, which contains several projects from
> different SVN repositories.  It removed all the .svn directories in most of
> those subdirectories (all the ones that belonged to my main SVN repository),
> but then failed to create a top-level .svn directory!
>
> This made my working copy useless.  But I thought maybe this 'bug' happened
> because there were working copies from multiple repositories within that
> directory (which is a convenient way to work, with Eclipse).  So I decided
> to do something simpler to see if I could work around this bug.
>
> So I did a fresh svn checkout into a new directory, which worked fine.
> (Except that Eclipse could not read the new-style working copy, and gave
> several warnings about this, so I eventually upgraded its subclipse plugin
> as well, to version 1.8.0 using the "JavaHL (JNI) 1.7.0 (r1176462)" client).
>
> After working normally for that day, the next day I got the same error:
>
>     svn: warning: W155007: '/cygdrive/c/marku/qut/networkmodel' is not a
> working copy
>
> Once again, the top-level .svn folder had completely disappeared!  Leaving
> my working copy useless.
> Note that that 'networkmodel' directory was a fresh checkout with svn 1.7,
> so contains only projects from one repository (which is a svn 1.6 repository
> I think).
>
> I did a full system disk scan for disk errors, no problems reported.
>

> Has anyone else had problems like this since upgrading to svn 1.7?
>
> Is it possible that the Eclipse plugin is deleting the top-level .svn
> directory?

It is definitely suspicious.  Generally Subclipse does not directly
touch the .svn folders at all.  It only makes calls to the JavaHL API
which is just a bridge to the normal SVN API provided in the SVN
DLL's.  Cygwin seems to be a relevant wrinkle, but I do not see why
TortoiseSVN would not have problems.  I am not aware of any special
handling for Cygwin that it includes.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Upgrade to svn 1.7 on cygwin causes W155007 not a working copy?

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
This was fixed in the current version of Subclipse which is 1.8.2.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Upgrade to svn 1.7 on cygwin causes W155007 not a working copy?

Posted by Mark Utting <ma...@cs.waikato.ac.nz>.
Mark,

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
Can you make a little diagram of what your Eclipse workspace looks
like?  For example, one of mine looks like this:

/workspace
 |- Project1
 |-|-.svn
 |- Project2
 |-|-.svn

And I have others where my Eclipse workspace folder is empty:

/workspace

Because all of my Eclipse projects are imported into the workspace and
just pointing to working copies I have checked out elsewhere.  For
example. on my Mac I have Subclipse checked out here:

$HOME/work/subclipse

This contains a /trunk/plugins folder with a child folder for each
Eclipse plugin project.

My Eclipse workspace lives at:

$HOME/Documents/workspaces/e3.7

The workspace folder is empty other than the Eclipse .metadata folder.
 This contains the pointers to all the projects I have imported.

In other cases, I do my checkouts directly from Eclipse which leave my
with a workspace that looks like the first example.

How would you describe your working copy?