Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com> on 2009/11/14 20:27:04 UTC

Multithreaded testing was: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-4

Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Honestly there's not really any public proposal or design to look at

Got one now :-)

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Experimental+Multithreading+Support

> and I really think that we should try your branch against the
> performance framework and make sure everything is ok.

I think this is sonatype code that I don't have access to?  Can somebody
at Sonatype just run my code against the performance framework and see how
it goes?

-Dan

Re: Multithreaded testing was: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-4

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
There you go, it's all yours Dan :-)

On 2009-11-14, at 8:38 PM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> We can give you access.
>
> Well,
>  http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/sandbox/trunk/maven-performance-tests/
>
> is already public.
>

> Benjamin

Jason

Re: Multithreaded testing was: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-4

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 16/11/2009, at 9:22 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Then I consider you lost. Go back and read what I wrote. At any rate this is not by biggest concern at the moment. If the conditions 1-3 are met in the last email and Larry says it's fine, I'm fine.

You top replied to several questions referring to 'it', so I was confused. Now that I know what you meant:
- you're concerned about checking in an EPL patch
- you want to release the patched version of org.eclipse.test.performance, not the framework itself

I believe there are solutions to the first that could be asked of legal-discuss (which I'll ask out of curiosity), but there's no point pursuing it as we clearly can't do the second here.

The best solution, if you want the framework here, is to move everything except the patch, and continue to refer to it externally in the README (for source form), or use a released binary produced by m2e (which sounds better for most users to me).

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Multithreaded testing was: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-4

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 2009-11-16, at 10:15 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> You've lost me.

Then I consider you lost. Go back and read what I wrote. At any rate
this is not by biggest concern at the moment. If the conditions 1-3
are met in the last email and Larry says it's fine, I'm fine.

> Everything I see at http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/sandbox/trunk/maven-performance-tests/
>  is under the ALv2 accdg to headers except:
> - the contents of a test maven repository
> - http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/sandbox/trunk/maven-performance-tests/remoteRepo/
>  which is a subset of the central repo to avoid having to download
> things (which can probably be done differently anyway)
> - http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/sandbox/trunk/maven-performance-tests/src/test/lib/ivjperf.dll
>  which is EPL in binary form which is not a problem according to the
> policy.

And the actual patch itself, which is EPL. Which is the problem. It's
EPL because we want it to go back. When who knows.

> The README.txt instructs folks to check out EPL sources and apply a
> patch. That's not a problem, there are no EPL sources in the main
> repository.

The patch is EPL. It may get bigger (as I said in the previous posts).
It may not get merged at all and that's not unlikely with the pace at
which patches get absorbed in some Eclipse projects and we may just
merge it. I definitely want to be able to release it.

> You said "There are licensing problems with checking it in here
> which is why it's not here", which sounded like you wanted it to be
> here, but it can't. I wanted to point out that, in fact, it can. I'm
> trying to answer your concern, not force you to move it.

You talk to Larry, if he signs off we're good. We'll just leave it
where it is until then. How's that sound for a reasonable path forward?

> Thanks,
> Brett
>
> On 16/11/2009, at 7:55 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> If you can get Larry to sign off on:
>>
>> 1) We going to keep modifying the source as necessary
>> 2) It's EPL and it should be that way because that's where we got
>> it from
>> 3) And we might want to release it
>>
>> I'm not going to discuss this ad nauseum because I believe Larry
>> would say technically it's going to be a violation of the license
>> even though no one cares or will prosecute us. But what's the point
>> if we don't adhere to some semblance of order.
>>
>> If you want to do the work and Larry says cool. That's cool with me
>> and we can move it over.

>>> You mean org.eclipse.test.performance here?

>>> You mean http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/sandbox/trunk/maven-performance-tests/org.eclipse.test.performance.patch
>>>  here? Everything else in http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/sandbox/trunk/maven-performance-tests/
>>>  is under ALv2?
>>>
>>> If that is the case, can't we commit the patch & EPL'd binary to
>>> the SVN repo here (or put the binary in a Maven repository), and
>>> submit the patches upstream in the hope that we only need to use
>>> the official Eclipse binary down the track?
>>>
>>> This shouldn't be a problem in general - we aren't checking in any
>>> EPL sources. And further, we aren't intending to redistribute the
>>> performance framework as a release anyway.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Brett

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

Jason

Re: Multithreaded testing was: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-4

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
You've lost me.

On 2009-11-16, at 9:27 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 16/11/2009, at 7:14 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
>>
>> The performance framework is EPL, which is not an authorized
>> license according to our documentation.
>
> You mean org.eclipse.test.performance here?
>
>> We are likely to make some modifications, if we haven't already,
>> and so it's easier not to put it here. If we made anything more
>> then minimal changes we have to back it out.
>
> You mean http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/sandbox/trunk/maven-performance-tests/org.eclipse.test.performance.patch
>  here? Everything else in http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/sandbox/trunk/maven-performance-tests/
>  is under ALv2?
>
> If that is the case, can't we commit the patch & EPL'd binary to the
> SVN repo here (or put the binary in a Maven repository), and submit
> the patches upstream in the hope that we only need to use the
> official Eclipse binary down the track?
>
> This shouldn't be a problem in general - we aren't checking in any
> EPL sources. And further, we aren't intending to redistribute the
> performance framework as a release anyway.
>
> Cheers,
> Brett

Jason

Re: Multithreaded testing was: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-4

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 16/11/2009, at 7:35 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

>>> We are likely to make some modifications, if we haven't already, and so it's easier not to put it here. If we made anything more then minimal changes we have to back it out.
>>
>> You mean http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/sandbox/trunk/maven-performance-tests/org.eclipse.test.performance.patch here? Everything else in http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/sandbox/trunk/maven-performance-tests/ is under ALv2?
>>

> They actually should probably be EPL because it would be nice if they could ultimately go back to Eclipse.

You can dual license it like Jetty did, but I don't quite understand - this looks like a performance testing framework for Maven, not m2e.

>> If that is the case, can't we commit the patch & EPL'd binary to the SVN repo here (or put the binary in a Maven repository), and submit the patches upstream in the hope that we only need to use the official Eclipse binary down the track?
>>
>> This shouldn't be a problem in general - we aren't checking in any EPL sources. And further, we aren't intending to redistribute the performance framework as a release anyway.
>>

> I definitely plan to release this for people to test. We're working on trying to make it dead simple for people to materialize Maven inside M2Eclipse along with the integration tests and the performance tests. It needs to be very easy for people try this. I like the source way, you and Brian like the binary way of packaging up the ITs. So I plan to try both.
>
> I don't want to be hindered by a licensing policy to make quick changes at the source level or have remove the possibility of releasing.
>
> So 1) it's unclear as almost everything is here legally, and 2) it's too limited and cumbersome even in its current form and 3) it's not any less convenient checking it out of one place over another. The goals is to make it easy for people who want to try this.

Sorry, but I can't parse what you are saying here. I don't see what you are talking about releasing - the framework looks designed to run from source.

Perhaps you could provide more information on how you intend for it to be used here - I'm going on the README.txt.

- Brett

Re: Multithreaded testing was: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-4

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 2009-11-16, at 9:27 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 16/11/2009, at 7:14 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
>>
>> The performance framework is EPL, which is not an authorized
>> license according to our documentation.
>
> You mean org.eclipse.test.performance here?
>
>> We are likely to make some modifications, if we haven't already,
>> and so it's easier not to put it here. If we made anything more
>> then minimal changes we have to back it out.
>
> You mean http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/sandbox/trunk/maven-performance-tests/org.eclipse.test.performance.patch
>  here? Everything else in http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/sandbox/trunk/maven-performance-tests/
>  is under ALv2?

They actually should probably be EPL because it would be nice if they
could ultimately go back to Eclipse.

> If that is the case, can't we commit the patch & EPL'd binary to the
> SVN repo here (or put the binary in a Maven repository), and submit
> the patches upstream in the hope that we only need to use the
> official Eclipse binary down the track?
>
> This shouldn't be a problem in general - we aren't checking in any
> EPL sources. And further, we aren't intending to redistribute the
> performance framework as a release anyway.

I definitely plan to release this for people to test. We're working on
trying to make it dead simple for people to materialize Maven inside
M2Eclipse along with the integration tests and the performance tests.
It needs to be very easy for people try this. I like the source way,
you and Brian like the binary way of packaging up the ITs. So I plan
to try both.

I don't want to be hindered by a licensing policy to make quick
changes at the source level or have remove the possibility of releasing.

So 1) it's unclear as almost everything is here legally, and 2) it's
too limited and cumbersome even in its current form and 3) it's not
any less convenient checking it out of one place over another. The
goals is to make it easy for people who want to try this.

> Cheers,
> Brett

Jason

Re: Multithreaded testing was: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-4

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

The performance framework is EPL, which is not an authorized license
according to our documentation. We are likely to make some
modifications, if we haven't already, and so it's easier not to put it
here. If we made anything more then minimal changes we have to back it
out.

The performance framework is the one use for testing Eclipse itself.

On 2009-11-16, at 1:39 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

>>> We can give you access. There are licensing problems with checking
>>> it in here which is why it's not here. But anyone should be able
>>> to use it. We'll set it up for next week.
>>
>> What are the licensing issues? Perhaps we can sort something out.
>>

> I am curious about this as well.
>
> Ralph

Jason

Re: Multithreaded testing was: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-alpha-4

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 2009-11-14, at 8:27 PM, Dan Fabulich wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> Honestly there's not really any public proposal or design to look at
>
> Got one now :-)
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Experimental+Multithreading+Support
>
>> and I really think that we should try your branch against the
>> performance framework and make sure everything is ok.
>
> I think this is sonatype code that I don't have access to?  Can
> somebody at Sonatype just run my code against the performance
> framework and see how it goes?

We can give you access. There are licensing problems with checking it
in here which is why it's not here. But anyone should be able to use
it. We'll set it up for next week.

> -Dan

Jason