Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ace Suares <ac...@suares.nl> on 2003/10/18 22:41:58 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_auth_ldap, DN and AUTHENTICATE_UID

Hi Folks,

Sorry to drop into your party unnannounced ;-)

I just installed apache2 with mod_auth_ldap and php4 on a Suse 8.2 machine.

So far so good. However, when I ask a list of all $_SERVER variables that are
avaliable to PHP, I get the usual list PLUS this one I've never seen before:

AUTHENTICATE_UID

It has no value, apparently. Maybe I need to move this question to PHP-lists,
but even when I google on 'AUTHENTICATE_UID', I get zero hits... so I wonder
if anyone ever seen that one before and know what it means.

The other thing is about mod_auth_ldap, and if this is the wrong list, please
point me to where to go!

I was wondering if the DN that is found by mod_auth_ldap is stored somewhere
in an accessible server variable.

For instance, if I log in (through .htaccess, which does the LDAP lookup) as
user: me@domain
password: absomethingcd

I am getting authenticated just fine. Internally, a lookup is done, which
results in a DN like: 'cn=ace,dc=example,dc=com'

It would be very handy to have this dn available (in PHP) as
'$_SERVER['mod_ault_ldap_athenticated_dn'] (or similar).

is this possible ?

Greetings

ace

--
Ace Suares' Internet Consultancy
NIEUW ADRES: Postbus 2599, 4800 CN Breda

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth_ldap, DN and AUTHENTICATE_UID

Posted by Saqib Ali <sa...@seagate.com>.
> In apache 2.0, mod_auth_ldap is not a seperate (third party) module, but part
> of the main distribution. (See
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_auth_ldap.html)

I think Apache 2.0's mod_auth_ldap is based on the auth_ldap written by
Dave Carrigan. http://www.rudedog.org

You can also find another LDAP authentication module for Apache 2.0 at
http://www.muquit.com which works very well with Apache 2.0

Saqib Ali
---------
http://validate.sourceforge.net <--- XHTML/HTML/DocBook Validator

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth_ldap, DN and AUTHENTICATE_UID

Posted by Ace Suares <ac...@suares.nl>.

Ok, I've got it now.

with an AuthLDAPURL like this:
ldap://localhost:389/dc=example,dc=com?cn?sub?(objectclass=*)

a variable called 'AUTHENTICATE_CN' is created, with no value.

using
ldap://localhost:389/dc=example,dc=com?uid?sub?(objectclass=*)

a variable called 'AUTHENTICATE_UID' is created, with no value.

Interesting, eh ?

_Ace

Posted by Mike Klein <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.
Ace Suares wrote:

>>This still doesn't explain the value (or lack thereof) of AUTHENTICATE_UID
>>

>You are right!
>

>>When I searched apache2 and php sources (and my various
>>mod_auth_ldap/etc. implementations) I could NOT find a single reference
>>to the var.
>>

>Me neither. I am not sure if it's coming from mod_auth_ldap or from somewhere
>else.
>

>>The docs you point to only mention that REMOTE_USER var will be updated
>>based upon obtained ldap info...
>>

>That was teh solution to my *problem*. But the *mystery* (about
>AUTHENTICATE_UID) remains!
>Do you get this variable when you look at php_info() ?
>
>_Ace
>

>>So what gives?!?

It's not present on my server (which runs php4...but not auth_ldap of
any kind).

It would seem like an important var to know about...and it is wierd that
google returns nothing on it.

You should comment out a few modules in your apache and see which is
definining it...might be something important you can use.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth_ldap, DN and AUTHENTICATE_UID

Posted by Ace Suares <ac...@suares.nl>.

Posted by Mike Klein <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Ace Suares <ac...@suares.nl>.

> #1. Question is probably best/quickest answered by posting question to
> owners of mod_auth_ldap. Go to the module home page and you'll find
> support emails, discussion forums, mailing lists, etc.

In apache 2.0, mod_auth_ldap is not a seperate (third party) module, but part
of the main distribution. (See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_auth_ldap.html)

Is this list a 1.3.x list or do people generally ask questions about 2.0 too??

> #2. Environment value should <probably> be set to a variable in apache
> httpd.conf indicating which ldap attr to use as uid...or it s/be set to
> actual authenticated uid (or rdn of authenticated user)...I haven't read
> docs. When I authenticate via realm authentication (simple
> user/password) or ssl certificate authentication (user rdn,
> emailAddress)...I do get apache server vars for these values.

Me too - PHP_AUTH_USER and PHP_AUTH_PW. They give the username and the
password of the authenticated user.

However, AUTHENTICATE_UID is something I never heard of and if I google, no
results. Strange.

And I am looking for something like PHP_AUTH_DN, that would give me the DN of
the authenticaterd user. (It's not there now!)

> #3. If mod_auth_ldap is storing things in environment variables...you
> should be able to see it via your phpinfo() page/status or via apache
> info handler.

I'll try that...

With phpinfo() I do get the same
_SERVER["AUTHENTICATE_UID"] no value
as expected.

I am not getting any other values from mod_auth_ldap anywhere from php_info().

Thanks for your help !

_Ace

Posted by Mike Klein <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.

#1. Question is probably best/quickest answered by posting question to

#2. Environment value should <probably> be set to a variable in apache
httpd.conf indicating which ldap attr to use as uid...or it s/be set to
actual authenticated uid (or rdn of authenticated user)...I haven't read
docs. When I authenticate via realm authentication (simple
user/password) or ssl certificate authentication (user rdn,
emailAddress)...I do get apache server vars for these values.

I am currently using mod_auth_pam for authentication, as this gives
options for things like ldap, mysql, kerberos, and other auth methods.

#3. If mod_auth_ldap is storing things in environment variables...you
should be able to see it via your phpinfo() page/status or via apache
info handler.

Sorry I can't help more...

mike