Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Brolin Empey <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/06 07:25:02 UTC

Re: generate only pages changed since last static site build?

David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> I started this reply ages ago but never got around to finishing it ...
>
> Brolin Empey wrote:
> > If possible, I would like to avoid having to specify an absolute path
> > to a temporary location, such as /tmp/checksums, and copy the
> > checksums file back into my build/site/ directory.

I ended up settling on this kludge.  My Forrest sites's cli.xconf are
hard-coded to use /tmp/checksums, which is copied and moved by pre-
and post-build functions in my forrest.sh wrapper/launcher and utility
script.

I think it would make more sense to have paths such as checksums-uri
be relative to project.home.  This allows specification of files
within the user's project, where Forrest is much more likely to have
write permission when run as a regular user.  At least, for users like
me who install Forrest under /usr/local/, to which regular users do
not have write permission.  Furthermore, it makes more sense to keep
files such as "checksums" as part of the user's Forrest project so
that they can be copied with the project and possibly kept under
version control.

Brolin