Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2001/09/16 22:44:00 UTC

[lists-openbsd@bsws.de: [donotreply@Apache.Org: Re: OpenBSD + Apache as heavy loaded webserver and the cgi problem]]

(Working through antique misfiled mail)

Not acked.
----- Forwarded message from Henning Brauer <li...@bsws.de> -----

From: Henning Brauer <li...@bsws.de>
To: human-response@apache.org
Subject: [donotreply@Apache.Org: Re: OpenBSD + Apache as heavy loaded webserver and the cgi problem]
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 04:23:46 +0100

may fit on your performance tuning page...

From: Henning Brauer <li...@bsws.de>
To: misc@openbsd.org
Cc: apache@apache.org
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:37:17 +0100

Hi all,

a while ago I sent some apache header file modifications to run under heavy
load on OpenBSD. Unfortunately the original problem came up again, the
server was unable to start CGI's. I found a solution now:

in /usr/src/sys/sys/syslimits.h, change:

#define CHILD_MAX 512
#define OPEN_MAX 512

(defining them as option in kernel config does NOT work!)
in your kernel config:

maxusers 512
option NMBCLUSTERS=8192
option NKMEMCLUSTERS=8192
option MAX_KMAP=120
option MAX_KMAPENT=6000

in apache's httpd.h:

#define HARD_SERVER_LIMIT 2048

and, after recompiling, adjust the parameters in your apache config file,
especially MaxClients, MaxSpareServers, MinSpareServers and the Keepalive
stuff. Note that starting new apache processes is expensive, so don't set
the startservers and spareservers stuff too low.
The optimal values may differ depending on your load.
Whenever you see error messages like "couldn't spawn child process" the
values for CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX could be your problem. Also play with
FD_SETSIZE in apache's ap_config.h, I'm still figuring out the optimal
value for my setup.

Greetings

Henning

--