Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/18 08:17:26 UTC

JIRA's with no commits

A lot of JIRA's are being opened and then closed with no apparent commits
associated with them.

For example MAHOUT-1725 adds an element-wise power operation but it was
closed as fixed with no apparent discussion and with no commits attached to
the JIRA.

What is happening?

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
For reference https://github.com/apache/mahout/pull/135

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Agreed. We have been keeping all project and design discussions to dev@
> mailing lists and that's still is the case.

I just took a look at Slack and there is a long conversation on general
about the trade-offs of matrix algorithms.  Then another about the benefits
or costs of multi-backend architecture.

These are not discussions about release coordination.  They are design
discussions.

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
Agreed. We have been keeping all project and design discussions to dev@
mailing lists and that's still is the case.
If something about the recent PR needs to be discussed, please feel free to
start the convo on dev@.

Hope that clarifies everything now and I would like to conclude this thread.

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Sebastian <ss...@apache.org>.

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Sebastian <ss...@apache.org>.

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
Leaving Slack aside, what's the guidance from ASF on capturing PR comments
now that Github's an approved platform?

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
Chalk it up to using expedient tools to pull the team together to ship a
major release and to pull in a big contribution after a long wait.

Capturing discussion in a public format and archiving the discussion would
be preferable to fragmenting across lists, PR comments, and Slack, but the
tools are all valuable, and until we find a way to build a digest for the
archives I support using them all.

Anyone know what other projects are doing to bring many-threaded
conversations into their dev list, if any?

Re: JIRA's with no commits

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Slack isn't the mailing list.

Re: JIRA's with no commits