Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gordon Low <gl...@bigpond.net.au> on 2006/08/07 14:19:08 UTC

[users@httpd] Unable to use apachectl to start

Hoping that I can get some help with what may be a straight forward problem
to some of you.

Have a fairly simple home setup on a PC running Debian Sarge with a Linux
2.4 kernel and noticed I couldn't access the website at the home directory
/home/~

Went to recompile Apache with --suexec-userdir which I thought was missing.
Haven't done this before (went easy from 2.0.3.. to 2.0.59) and finally used
./configure to include what I thought I would need. At this point I changed
the name to apache2 as the installation which loaded with Debian was
installed with apache2.conf, used apache2ctl etc.

To get to the point, I saved off the apache2.conf files and done a 'make
install'.

At this point I then tried to stop apache but couldn't as it started looking
for httpd and said it couldn't find the pid. Finally got impatient and done
a  'kill' on all the processes. Now find I can't start apache and it says
there is something using the port and that it can't write to the logs. There
are no httpd or apache2 processes running.

Hoping there is some way I can recover from this by manually clearing
whatever apache seems to be getting blocked on. Had a problem before where
it couldn't find port 80 but fixed that by making sure it was getting to the
.conf file so have both apache2.conf and httpd.conf configured the same now,
still won't start.
Have tried finding out what apachectl does so I can follow it through but
not having much luck.
Can see the pid files in /var/run but don't know what to do here.

Help!!!!

Thanks

Gordon Low

Thanks