Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Farshad Rabbani <fa...@hotmail.com> on 2009/11/08 14:39:37 UTC

advice on building front-end rapidly

Hello:

I am currently building all my JSPs using notepad.  It is a very slow and tedius process to get the struts tags to align and show exactly as I want and also to format the page so it looks good.  Is there a tool - something that will allow me to quickly build well-designed pages by providing me with a WYSIWYG interface where I can drag and drop struts elements, format them and the page easily and then see what the outcome will look like?  If there is such a tool that you are using (and it is easy to configure etc. :-) ) can you please let me know.  If there isn't, how exactly are you all building your pages?  I apologize if this is an absurd question but I find myself spending unnecessary time on this issue.  Thank you all in advance, any advice is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Farshad

Find the right PC with Windows 7 and Windows Live.
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?cbid=wl&filt=200,2400,10,19,1,3,1,7,50,650,2,12,0,1000&cat=1,2,3,4,5,6&brands=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16&addf=4,5,9&ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen2:112009

Re: advice on building front-end rapidly

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
Vi

just kidding, it is monday you know :)

Posted by Farshad Rabbani <fa...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Bill, I will definitely look into it!

Posted by Bill Bohnenberger <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ronny Løvtangen <li...@lovtangen.com>.
On Nov 9, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Bill Bohnenberger wrote:

>  I suggest you avoid
> using MS Word to generate HTML, however, otherwise you will find the
> "clean
> it up" phase rather daunting :)

 From what I remember, DreamWeaver has a "clean up Word HTML" menu item.
Says something about the ugliness of the Word generated HTML ;)

Re: advice on building front-end rapidly

Posted by Bill Bohnenberger <bi...@gmail.com>.
Yes, this is frequently my workflow, also. I happen to use Dreamweaver
because I am familiar with it and have it and it generates fairly clean
HTML, but any such wysiwig editor would do I am sure. I suggest you avoid

Posted by Burton Rhodes <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fernandes Celinio <cf...@sopragroup.com>.

Posted by Terry Gardner <Te...@Sun.COM>.
http://netbeans.org

Posted by Farshad Rabbani <fa...@hotmail.com>.

 Hi Dave,

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Farshad Rabbani wrote:
> I am currently building all my JSPs using notepad.

Why?! At the very least why wouldn't you use something that can edit and
understand JSP, custom tags, etc.?

> It is a very slow
> and tedius process to get the struts tags to align and show exactly
> as I want and also to format the page so it looks good.

That's what themes and templates are for.

>  Is there a
> tool - something that will allow me to quickly build well-designed
> pages by providing me with a WYSIWYG interface where I can drag and
> drop struts elements, format them and the page easily and then see
> what the outcome will look like?  If there is such a tool that you
> are using (and it is easy to configure etc. :-) ) can you please let
> me know.  If there isn't, how exactly are you all building your
> pages?  I apologize if this is an absurd question but I find myself
> spending unnecessary time on this issue.

No, there's no WYSIWYG tool. Nor do I believe you should want one--they
almost never work well.

Dave