Posted to dev@depot.apache.org by "Markus M. May" <mm...@gmx.net> on 2004/02/25 18:50:28 UTC

MD5-Hashes

Hello,
currently the MD5 stuff is implemented using JAVA-stuff only. Which
means, that there is no way to use this on the server, only the client
itself can generate the Hash.
Following the discussion on the repository list, I guess this is not the
kind of thing we would like to have. Therefore I am going to implement
something more configurable. First of all this means, that you are able
then to use
1) any provider for the JAVA Security stuff (not only the default one,
which is implemented right now per default). This does not mean a lot of
work since all of the methods I have implemented can be used with
different providers
2) also I am going to enable a kind of "external" Hash-Program, like
md5sum. My problem with this right now is, that I have access to quite a
lot linux boxes (including my own home-server) but not any BSD system.
So I believe someon has to test this stuff later on a BSD system, which
seems to be the preferred OS of Apache.org (hope, I did not
misunderstood the mails concerning this). This Implementation will be
fully configurable, so that you can use whatever program suits your needs.
3) I will then add a new feature to generate Signatures (which, like
stated on the repository list will be only possible on the client, since
the private keys are not stored on any Apache.org machine). This will be
also separated into two different implementations (one using pure JAVA
and the other one using external programs).

--> IMHO this is not a high priority of ruper, since I believe that
first we have to get ruper up and flying to get more users as well as
developers.

Mark, since you seem to be a very knowledgable guy on this stuff, I have
included you on this topic and would really like to discuss this stuff
en detail with you.

R,

Markus