Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2001/02/19 23:19:17 UTC

[c2] broken CVS, again!

People,

can you please test Cocoon operation before committing something on CVS?

Not only it doesn't compile, but after making it compile, it also
doesn't even start because it looks for a class that was just removed!

So, in the future, please, avoid making commits before checking that
they work... this way of using CVS not only destroys parallel
development (making CVS useless) but creates lots of frustration on
those who want to help.

Thanks.

[see log for the runtime problems]

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [c2] broken CVS, again!

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> People,
>
> can you please test Cocoon operation before committing something on CVS?
>
> Not only it doesn't compile, but after making it compile, it also
> doesn't even start because it looks for a class that was just removed!
>
> So, in the future, please, avoid making commits before checking that
> they work... this way of using CVS not only destroys parallel
> development (making CVS useless) but creates lots of frustration on
> those who want to help.

At this point it should be working.  Now, the frustrating thing is
I have tested these commits, although I will in the future test and
retest before I commit.

Re: [c2] broken CVS, again!

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > >
> > > People,
> > >
> > > can you please test Cocoon operation before committing something on CVS?
> > >
> > > Not only it doesn't compile, but after making it compile, it also
> > > doesn't even start because it looks for a class that was just removed!
> > >
> > > So, in the future, please, avoid making commits before checking that
> > > they work... this way of using CVS not only destroys parallel
> > > development (making CVS useless) but creates lots of frustration on
> > > those who want to help.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > [see log for the runtime problems]
> >
> > Shit, sorry about that Berin. I just had a total bad timing.
> >
> > Please ignore my stupidity :(
>
> Well, yeah, I'm stupid, but C2 doesn't work anyway

Now C2 works and compiles for me OK.  It seems to me that you
have some stale classes in your Build directory.  If you

$build clean webapp

then everything should be OK.  P.S., Don't forget to remove the
precompiled sitemap from the Servlet Engine's repository.  That could
also be what is causing issues.

Re: [c2] broken CVS, again!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > People,
> >
> > can you please test Cocoon operation before committing something on CVS?
> >
> > Not only it doesn't compile, but after making it compile, it also
> > doesn't even start because it looks for a class that was just removed!
> >
> > So, in the future, please, avoid making commits before checking that
> > they work... this way of using CVS not only destroys parallel
> > development (making CVS useless) but creates lots of frustration on
> > those who want to help.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > [see log for the runtime problems]
>
> Shit, sorry about that Berin. I just had a total bad timing.
>
> Please ignore my stupidity :(

Well, yeah, I'm stupid, but C2 doesn't work anyway

ERROR   7201    [cocoon  ] (Thread-5): Error compiling sitemap
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/cocoon/sitemap/SitemapComponentManager
	at
org.apache.cocoon.ComponentFactory.newInstance(ComponentFactory.java:79)
	at org.apache.avalon.util.pool.AbstractPool.fill(AbstractPool.java:128)
	at org.apache.avalon.util.pool.AbstractPool.init(AbstractPool.java:47)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.CocoonComponentSelector.getPooledComponent(CocoonComponentSelector.java:233)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.CocoonComponentSelector.select(CocoonComponentSelector.java:139)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.load(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:163)
	at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.run(Handler.java:173)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [c2] broken CVS, again!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: [c2] broken CVS, again!

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
* Stefano Mazzocchi (stefano@apache.org) wrote :
> So, in the future, please, avoid making commits before checking that
> they work... this way of using CVS not only destroys parallel
> development (making CVS useless) but creates lots of frustration on
> those who want to help.

Indeed. Also, _always_ do a build.sh clean before you do the build. I've
had problems in the past because build.xml copies the source files
across to the build directory, so removing a class from the 'src'
directory will not help show up any problems.

P.