Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/23 06:07:30 UTC

[DBCP] 1.2.2 RC1 available for review

I have created a release candidate for DBCP 1.2.2.

The tarballs/zips are here:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1/

Release notes:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

Web site:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1/docs/

Clirr report:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1-clirr.txt

The jar is deployed in the apache snapshot repo:
http://people.apache.org/repository/commons-dbcp/jars/commons-dbcp-1.2.2-RC1.jar

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Phil

Re: [DBCP] 1.2.2 RC1 available for review

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 1/23/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/22/07, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have created a release candidate for DBCP 1.2.2.
>
> No KEYS file (I got your key from Math). So this is mostly a reminder
> to add yourself to the DBCP one. .asc's look good once I found the
> key.

Yes, will do that.

You're using the old way of release - nowadays we're svelte and
> modern. We create the release as if it was the real thing - 1.2.2
> rather than 1.2.2-rc1, upload to a directory with 1.2.2-rc1/ and tag
> it 1.2.2-rc1 , and then rollback the versions in svn.  jar/pom wouldn't
> go into the snapshot repo then though - just put them in the same
> directory as the rc.

Me likes old way - I don't remember agreeing that having binaries, tars,
jars, etc floating around with "release" names was a good thing.  Even if
only in home directory, I do not like this.  I want people to download and
*test* the RC, which is unsanitary if it has a release name.  When the music
has stopped and we are voting on a release package, then I am fine putting
the actual bits out there to vote on, which I agree is a good thing.  Could
be I am just arguing about timing, but to me an RC is an RC - not a final
release.

I also don't like the rollback idea above. That looks like an abuse of scm
to me.  Of course, I may be missing some important subtlety, in which case I
will revise my view of how revision history should work ;-)

I suspect this still needs documenting. Shame on me (and others who've
> done the releases this way :) ). I wonder how Maven-2 is going to
> affect it.
>
> I committed a change for the build.properties.sample based on trying
> to use Ant. Very minor - hopefully not something that would be an
> inconvenience.
>
> Src builds happily with Ant and Maven. Exceptions with Ant, but I'm
> assuming it's okay as the build completes.
>
> MD5s pass.
>
> This page should mention 1.2.2:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1/docs/downloads.html
> <http://people.apache.org/%7Epsteitz/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1/docs/downloads.html>

Good catch.  Yes, will fix.

and a 1.2.2.html page is needed.

> The two links to javadocs in the navbar point to the same javadoc.
> Either they shouldn't, or one should be removed.

OK, I can get rid of one of them.

Otherwise - looks good.

Thanks!

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 1/22/07, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have created a release candidate for DBCP 1.2.2.

No KEYS file (I got your key from Math). So this is mostly a reminder
to add yourself to the DBCP one. .asc's look good once I found the
key.

You're using the old way of release - nowadays we're svelte and
modern. We create the release as if it was the real thing - 1.2.2
rather than 1.2.2-rc1, upload to a directory with 1.2.2-rc1/ and tag
it 1.2.2-rc1, and then rollback the versions in svn.  jar/pom wouldn't
go into the snapshot repo then though - just put them in the same
directory as the rc.

I suspect this still needs documenting. Shame on me (and others who've
done the releases this way :) ). I wonder how Maven-2 is going to
affect it.

I committed a change for the build.properties.sample based on trying
to use Ant. Very minor - hopefully not something that would be an
inconvenience.

Src builds happily with Ant and Maven. Exceptions with Ant, but I'm
assuming it's okay as the build completes.

MD5s pass.

This page should mention 1.2.2:

http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1/docs/downloads.html

and a 1.2.2.html page is needed.

The two links to javadocs in the navbar point to the same javadoc.
Either they shouldn't, or one should be removed.

Otherwise - looks good.

Hen

Re: [DBCP] 1.2.2 RC1 available for review

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:

> On 1/23/07, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:

[snip]

>> tried to build from the src package, but the Ant build does not work ...
>> it references ../pool. Shouldn't the src package be self-contained?
>
> I built OK using ant, but you have to configure the dependencies using
> a build.properties (theres a build.properties.sample).

OK, so +1 then ...

- Jörg

Re: [DBCP] 1.2.2 RC1 available for review

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 1/23/07, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
> > I have created a release candidate for DBCP 1.2.2.
> >
> > The tarballs/zips are here:
> > http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1/
> >
> > Release notes:
> > http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
> >
> > Web site:
> > http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1/docs/
> >
> > Clirr report:
> > http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1/dbcp-1.2.2-RC1-clirr.txt
> >
> > The jar is deployed in the apache snapshot repo:
> >
> http://people.apache.org/repository/commons-dbcp/jars/commons-dbcp-1.2.2-RC1.jar
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your comments!
>
> tried to build from the src package, but the Ant build does not work ... it
> references ../pool. Shouldn't the src package be self-contained?

I built OK using ant, but you have to configure the dependencies using
a build.properties (theres a build.properties.sample).

Niall

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Phil,

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 1/28/07, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/28/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 1/28/07, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On 1/23/07, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip/>

> > > This presents a challenge, which I don't know exactly how to deal with.
> > > The  last release (1.2.1) was build with  maven using jdk 1.4.  The ant
> > > build works using 1.3, but does conditional compilation in that case to
> > > target jdbc 2.0 and also adds the jdbc 2 stdext dependency.  Could be
> > the
> > > best thing to do is to add a note in the README indicating how to build
> > > under 1.3.  Is that acceptable?
> >
> > Sounds much the same as DbUtils 1.1. It was built under 1.4 and the
> > release manager was trusted to have checked that the 1.3 build works.
> > Just in case something odd crept in JDK wise.
>

> I have both built and run tests on 1.3.  Just so we are clear, I assume that
> since we can't practically build [dbcp] on 1.3, I assume it is OK to build
> it using 1.5, rather than 1.4 as in the previous release.  I could cut the
> release using 1.4, but don't see the value in that.  Can anyone else?
> Thanks for the feedback.

<snap/>

I believe Commons libraries should take the more conservative
approach, where practically possible (I wouldn't want to cut releases
with JDK < 1.3, for example). At the end of the day, this makes the
RMs job easier.

FWIW, I feel the need to go through more rigorous testing when I pick
up a library (be it Commons or otherwise) that is built with a higher
JDK than my platform -- or I just rebuild from source, if I can.

Ultimately, this decision is upto the RM. For example, in this case, I
won't be voting against *just* because you build with JDK 1.5 (though,
FWIW, I may not vote in favor either).

-Rahul

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 1/28/07, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/23/07, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 1/23/07, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have created a release candidate for DBCP 1.2.2.
> > >
> > <snip/>
> >
> > Looks good. IMO, it'd be better if the artifacts contain the final
> > version number when you call the vote.
> >
> > As nits, I'd also suggest:
> > * Including filename in md5s
> > * Building with JDK 1.3
>

> This presents a challenge, which I don't know exactly how to deal with.
> The  last release (1.2.1) was build with  maven using jdk 1.4.  The ant
> build works using 1.3, but does conditional compilation in that case to
> target jdbc 2.0 and also adds the jdbc 2 stdext dependency.  Could be the
> best thing to do is to add a note in the README indicating how to build
> under 1.3.  Is that acceptable?

<snip/>

Sure, the 1.2.1 release recipe sounds good to me.

-Rahul

Re: [DBCP] 1.2.2 RC1 available for review

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me - the RAT report was good and it compiled and tested
OK under JDK 1.3 (using ant).

The only nitpick I could find is the copyright statement in the
NOTICE.txt has 2006 rather than 2007 (we should probably update all of
components to 2007).

Niall