Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org> on 2022/02/23 06:24:05 UTC

[DISCUSS] Dismiss Stale Code Reviews

Hi All,

In my recent PR to update the `.asf.yaml` to protect release branches,
I set the `dismiss_stale_reviews` to `true` for PRs targeting master
branch [0]. I mistakenly thought this setting would only dismiss PRs
updated by force. Instead, all approvals are dismissed when additional
commits are added to the PR. The GitHub feature is documented here
[1].

Since the PR changed the old setting, I want to bring awareness to the
change and determine our preferred behavior before changing the
setting again.

I think we should return to our old setting [2]. The GitHub PR history
clearly shows when a contributor/committer approved a PR. I feel that
it is up to the "merging" committer to give the final review of the
PR's approval history before merging. Further, when dismiss stale code
reviews is true, GitHub modifies previous approval "history" in the PR
making it look like a reviewer never approved the PR, which I find a
bit confusing.

Here is a sample PR where approvals were dismissed: [3].

Let me know how you think we should proceed.

Thanks,
Michael

[0] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/blob/master/.asf.yaml#L76
[1] https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/configuring-branches-and-merges-in-your-repository/defining-the-mergeability-of-pull-requests/managing-a-branch-protection-rule#creating-a-branch-protection-rule
[2] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/14425
[3] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/14409

Re: [DISCUSS] Dismiss Stale Code Reviews

Posted by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org>.
Closing the loop, we merged the PR to set `dismiss_stale_reviews` to
`false` two days ago.

Thanks,
Michael

Posted by Li Li <ur...@gmail.com>.