Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Benjamin Higgins <bh...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/24 20:06:02 UTC

Modifying Nutch core

Hello,

I know a bit of Java and Java development tools but not much.  I am trying
to make some changes to Nutch and am having some troubles.

I noticed this in bin/nutch:

if [ -d "$NUTCH_HOME/build/test/classes" ]; then
  CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:$NUTCH_HOME/build/test/classes
fi

So I think great, I can just copy the .class files that I made to to (in my
case) build/test/classes/org/apache/nutch/crawl, and I can run bin/nutch and
it'll pick it up.

But this doesn't seem to be the case.  When I try to run bin/nutch
org.apache.nutch.crawl.PruneDB (a class I'm writing), I get old command line
usage that I had since updated.

Right now it seems like I have to run `ant package` and then copy the
nutch-0.8.jar file out of the build dir and into the nutch dir.  But that
takes a really long time!  I'd like to just be able to run `ant
compile-core` and then run bin/nutch...

How should I be doing this?

Thanks for all the help,

Ben

Re: Modifying Nutch core

Posted by Sami Siren <ss...@gmail.com>.
> Right now it seems like I have to run `ant package` and then copy the
> nutch-0.8.jar file out of the build dir and into the nutch dir.  But that
> takes a really long time!  I'd like to just be able to run `ant
> compile-core` and then run bin/nutch...
>
> How should I be doing this?

first:
"ant" (to compile and to create nutch-x.x.x.job)

then:
"bin/nutch ..."

--
  Sami Siren