Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jamie Browning <ja...@exponent.co.uk> on 2004/06/15 15:13:34 UTC

All quiet on the SVG front

All

Can anyone enlighten me as to the current status of the Batik project?
 From posts over the last month I have ascertained a number of cryptic
details which lead me to believe that Batik development has stopped due
to some argument over the terms of the Apache license.

Is Batik owned by any 1 organisation or has development stopped by order
of any organisation? If not why have we (batik-developers) not been kept
informed about what is happening? And why, if this is a disagreement
between some of the commiters employers and Apache, have we not heard a
call for additional developers to move into those roles. Surely the
continued development of Batik is the primary interest of ALL developers.

I know less about the current Batik status than I do about the next
Adobe release ;-).

Someone please correct my ignorance.

Jamie

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@aka.mcc.id.au>.
Vincent Hardy:
> I already sent the request to root@apache.org with the result of the
> vote. Have you not received confirmation? I sent the request 6/17.

No, I haven't heard anything.

--
Cameron McCormack

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Vincent Hardy <Vi...@Sun.COM>.
Cameron,

I already sent the request to root@apache.org with the result of the
vote. Have you not received confirmation? I sent the request 6/17.

Vincent.

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@aka.mcc.id.au>.
Jeremias Maerki:

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Hi Thomas,

On 21.06.2004 12:20:49 Thomas DeWeese wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
>     It was unfortunately taken 'off-list'.  I've forwarded the
> message I sent to the XML-PMC, which had the vote messages
> as attachments.
>
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > Hi Vincent,
> >
> > can you give me a pointer to the vote? I didn't find it in the archives.
> > If I can help with the account request just tell me. I'm quite familiar
> > with the process in the meantime having recruited a number of new
> > committer over in FOP-land.
> >
> > Cameron, please report back on your progress. Thanks!
> >
> > On 16.06.2004 15:19:04 Vincent Hardy wrote:

> >>Actually, Thomas asked for a vote from the commiters and we got positive
> >>votes from all the ones who responded (I counted 8 positive votes). I
> >>did not get a request to move to the next step, but may be Thomas
> >>assumed he was done and we were in a dead-lock situation... bummer.
> >>
> >>In any event, the next step is for you to sign the contributor license
> >>agreement. Then, I'll be able to request access to the CVS repository
> >>and you'll be able to access the CVS repository.
> >>
> >>I'll send you the documentation and instruction in a private email,

Jeremias Maerki

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Vincent Hardy <Vi...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jeremias,

The vote happened as a result of an email Thomas sent to the commiters
directly. I already sent the request to root@apache.org, following the
same process we had for previous commiters.

Vincent.

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Jeremias,

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Hi Vincent,

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Apache owns the copyright so it "owns" the project, sort of. On the
other side it's the committers who run the project. With no active
committers the project obviously can't go forward. Let's hope that
Vincent and/or Thomas can come back into the game soon. When Cameron
McCormack gets his account things can also start to get better, I hope.

Furthermore it's also the community around Batik (read: not only the
committers) that can help in this project. Those who care about the
project need to work together to revive it. Everyone has the right to
make proposals, to express their opinion. Obviously, without active
committers who actually manage the project this is difficult. But this
shouldn't stop anyone on improving the codebase and place patches.
That's the best way to show that you care and it's what the project
needs most. And I'm sure we can find a way to recruit new committers
even if there are no active committers (via the PMC). If Batik appears
dead (which, fortunately, it isn't) you can always address the XML PMC
(general@xml.apache.org or pmc@xml.apache.org) with any concerns.

On 16.06.2004 12:07:24 Jamie Browning wrote:
> But who owns Batik? Apache or the current "committers"? This IS an
> important point. We (my company) wish to use Batik in our projects, but
> we need to have a clear idea about where it is going and what sort of
> support we may/may not need to anticipate.

Jeremias Maerki
FOP committer

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@kiyut.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 16:40, Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Tonny Kohar:
> > Do you have any cvs write access privileges?
>
> I don't think so; I never tried.  I would need to have been given a
> username and password, right?

Yes, I think you need some username and password. see the post from
Vincent Hardy.

Best Regards
Tonny Kohar
--
Sketsa
SVG Graphics Editor

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@aka.mcc.id.au>.
Tonny Kohar:

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@kiyut.com>.
Hi,

> I think Vincent and Thomas agreed at one stage to make me a committer,
> but nothing ever came of it.

Do you have any cvs write access privileges?

Regards
Tonny Kohar
--
Sketsa
SVG Graphics Editor

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@kiyut.com>.
Hi,

>     More good news, I should be resuming my participation in the Batik
> Project. Apologies for the 'lull in the action'.

This is good news :)

>     I will try and go back and respond to major issues/questions
> but the community may need to be reminded of questions that went
> unanswered in the past.

Yes, it is a good idea. My suggestion is to look at the bugzilla.

Best Regards
Tonny Kohar
--
Sketsa
SVG Graphics Editor

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Chimera <ch...@ennersea.net>.
Good to hear, Thomas.  Welcome back, you've been missed.

Are we to take it that your Apache questions were answered in a positive
manner?

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Jamie Browning <ja...@exponent.co.uk>.
Thomas DeWeese wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    More good news, I should be resuming my participation in the Batik
> Project. Apologies for the 'lull in the action'.

Good news indeed Thomas

>    My thanks to all the people who have stepped in during my absence
> to answer questions and helped to keep the Batik community alive.
> However, don't think you can all go away now that I will be answering
> some questions ;)

I think the recent 'lull' has highlighted the need for more active
participation from those who have the time and inclination.

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi all,

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi all,

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@kiyut.com>.
Hi,

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Vincent Hardy <Vi...@Sun.COM>.
Hello Cameron,

Cameron McCormack wrote:

> [...]
>
>I think Vincent and Thomas agreed at one stage to make me a committer,
>but nothing ever came of it.

Actually, Thomas asked for a vote from the commiters and we got positive
votes from all the ones who responded (I counted 8 positive votes). I
did not get a request to move to the next step, but may be Thomas
assumed he was done and we were in a dead-lock situation... bummer.

In any event, the next step is for you to sign the contributor license
agreement. Then, I'll be able to request access to the CVS repository
and you'll be able to access the CVS repository.

I'll send you the documentation and instruction in a private email,
Regards,
Vincent.

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@aka.mcc.id.au>.
Jamie Browning:
> Has it? Where have you read/seen this?

The latest SVG working draft from last month.  I hear that a new one
will be out soon!

--
Cameron McCormack

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Jamie Browning <ja...@exponent.co.uk>.
Cameron McCormack wrote:

>>But who owns Batik? Apache or the current "committers"? This IS an
>>important point. We (my company) wish to use Batik in our projects, but
>>we need to have a clear idea about where it is going and what sort of
>>support we may/may not need to anticipate. The example I used was
>>Rendering Custom Content (RCC) which is proposed in the SVG 1.2. spec.
>>

>(Which has been dropped in favour of XBL.)

Has it? Where have you read/seen this?

>  I don't think forking Batik
>is a good idea.  Just get some life in to the project in the form of
>some more developers.

I agree

>I saw Vincent at the webapps workshop the other
>week, but I didn't speak to him. :/

I imagine all those guys are pretty depressed at the current state of
affairs. And to be fair it has shamed me in to taking more notice of the
Users list and attempting help out if I can.

Jamie

Re: All quiet on the SVG front

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@aka.mcc.id.au>.
Jamie Browning:
> I think the Batik developers have done a truly amazing job so far and
> they deserve all the credit for this project. So I don't want to tread
> on anyones toes here because I don't know what is happening...

Certainly they have done great work.

> But who owns Batik? Apache or the current "committers"? This IS an
> important point. We (my company) wish to use Batik in our projects, but
> we need to have a clear idea about where it is going and what sort of
> support we may/may not need to anticipate. The example I used was
> Rendering Custom Content (RCC) which is proposed in the SVG 1.2. spec.

(Which has been dropped in favour of XBL.)  I don't think forking Batik
is a good idea.  Just get some life in to the project in the form of
some more developers.  I saw Vincent at the webapps workshop the other
week, but I didn't speak to him. :/

--
Cameron McCormack

Re: All quiet on the SVG front