Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Kashyap Mhaisekar <ka...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/03 06:07:29 UTC

Netty reconnect

Hi,
Has anyone experienced Netty reconnects repeatedly? My workers seem to be
eternally in reconnect state and topology doesn't serve messages at all. It
gets connected once in a while and then goes back to getting reconnecting.

Any fixes for this?
"Reconnect started for Netty-Client"

Thanks
Kashyap

unsubscribe

Posted by Carey Stewart <ca...@aspirent.com>.
Carey Stewart
Founding Partner
Aspirent Consulting, LLC

[cid:1EA9C5B9-BF29-4500-AD94-BA98858583AA@hsd1.ga.comcast.net.]

M  404.401.3162
E  carey.stewart@aspirent.com<ma...@aspirent.com>
T: @AspirentConsult

[cid:D053A59A-29AC-4E9E-8810-A8DECADEF93A@hsd1.ga.comcast.net.]

This electronic message transmission and any files transmitted with it contain information from Aspirent Consulting, LLC that may be confidential or privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law. The information is intended to be for the use of only the individual to whom this email is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail to info@aspirent.com<ma...@aspirent.com> and delete this e-mail and any attached files from your system and any destroy any copies you may have made, electronic or otherwise.

On Sep 3, 2015, at 7:52 AM, John Yost <so...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

When I see this, it is evidence that one or more of the workers are not starting up, which results in connections either not occuring or reconnecting occuring when supervisors kill workers that don't start up properly. I recommend checking the supervisor and nimbus logs to see if there are any root causes other than network issues causing the connect/reconnect.

--John

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 7:32 AM, Nick R. Katsipoulakis <ni...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hello Kashyap,

I have been having the same issue for some time now on my AWS cluster. To be honest, I do not know how to resolve it.

Regards,
Nick

--
Nikolaos Romanos Katsipoulakis,
University of Pittsburgh, PhD candidate

Re: Netty reconnect

Posted by Erik Weathers <ew...@groupon.com>.
Storm makes an attempt to be ok with having less workers than you've
configured, so I'd assume it was the upgrade to storm 0.9.5 that helped you.

*Explanation about the behavior from Nathan Marz, storm's original author:*

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/storm-user/msqO6zNseM8/OvbjgJfoV6IJ

If Storm doesn’t have enough worker slots to run a topology, it will “pack”
all the tasks for that topology into whatever slots there are on the
cluster. Then, when there are more worker slots available (like you add
another machine), it will redistribute the tasks to the proper number of
workers. Of course, running a topology with less workers than intended will
probably lead to performance problems. So it’s best practice to have extra
capacity available to handle any failures.

- nathan marz

*Also here's a reference in the storm core code itself:*

Comment in nimbus.clj code:
;; otherwise, package rest of executors into available slots (up to how
much it needs)

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Kashyap Mhaisekar <ka...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> but the frequency consistently increased, going from 1 second, to 2
>> seconds, to 5 seconds, ..., to eventually being longer than 30 seconds,
>> causing the supervisor to kill the worker.
>>
>> So long story short:  if you're experiencing the same thing as we were,
>> just upgrading to 0.9.4 or 0.9.5 might solve it.
>>
>> But before doing that you should find the initial worker death's cause
>> (be it a heartbeat timeout or an exception within the worker).
>>
>> - Erik
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Kashyap Mhaisekar <ka...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Ganesh, All
>>> Do you know if the answer to this is an upgrade to* 0.9.4 *or or* 0.9.5
>>> *or to version* 0.10.0-beta1*. My topology runs fine for 15 mins and
>>> then gives up with this -
>>> 2015-09-11 15:19:51 b.s.m.n.Client [INFO] failed to send requests to
>>> myserver1.personal.com/10.2.72.176:6701:
>>> java.nio.channels.ClosedChannelException: null
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.storm.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.cleanUpWriteBuffer(AbstractNioWorker.java:405)
>>> [storm-core-0.9.3-rc1.jar:0.9.3-rc1]
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.storm.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.close(AbstractNioWorker.java:373)
>>> [storm-core-0.9.3-rc1.jar:0.9.3-rc1]
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.storm.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.read(NioWorker.java:93)
>>> [storm-core-0.9.3-rc1.jar:0.9.3-rc1]
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.storm.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.process(AbstractNioWorker.java:108)
>>> [storm-core-0.9.3-rc1.jar:0.9.3-rc1]
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.storm.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.run(AbstractNioSelector.java:318)
>>> [storm-core-0.9.3-rc1.jar:0.9.3-rc1]
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.storm.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.run(AbstractNioWorker.java:89)
>>> [storm-core-0.9.3-rc1.jar:0.9.3-rc1]
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.storm.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.run(NioWorker.java:178)
>>> [storm-core-0.9.3-rc1.jar:0.9.3-rc1]
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.storm.netty.util.ThreadRenamingRunnable.run(ThreadRenamingRunnable.java:108)
>>> [storm-core-0.9.3-rc1.jar:0.9.3-rc1]
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.storm.netty.util.internal.DeadLockProofWorker$1.run(DeadLockProofWorker.java:42)
>>> [storm-core-0.9.3-rc1.jar:0.9.3-rc1]
>>>         at
>>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
>>> [na:1.7.0_79]
>>>         at
>>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
>>> [na:1.7.0_79]
>>>         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.7.0_79]
>>>
>>> and then with   ...
>>> 2015-09-11 15:20:12 b.s.m.n.Client [INFO] Reconnect started for
>>> Netty-Client-myserver5.personal.com/10.2.72.176:6701... [1]
>>> 2015-09-11 15:20:12 b.s.m.n.Client [INFO] Reconnect started for
>>> Netty-Client-myserver7.personal.com/10.2.72.72:6704... [1]

Re: Netty reconnect

Posted by Kashyap Mhaisekar <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Erik.

Re: Netty reconnect