Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/02 20:46:35 UTC

Torque is broken - proposed fix...

Hi,

I've been trying to use the torque stuff - I thought it was ok, but
it isn't.

What I propose doing is removing all the templates and just leaving
the torque jar that contains them in place.  I will then add a
velocity.properties file that will load them from the jar.

This way, future upgrades of Torque involve getting the jar and
possibly updating the velocity config.

I've tried this out and it seems to work.

OK?

Regards,
Chris

=====
Need somewhere to Live in London? - Then go to http://freeflats.com

Re: Torque is broken - proposed fix...

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Sat, 2002-03-02 at 14:46, Chris Kimpton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to use the torque stuff - I thought it was ok, but
> it isn't.
>
> What I propose doing is removing all the templates and just leaving
> the torque jar that contains them in place.  I will then add a
> velocity.properties file that will load them from the jar.
>
> This way, future upgrades of Torque involve getting the jar and
> possibly updating the velocity config.
>
> I've tried this out and it seems to work.
>
> OK?

I would highly recommend using this approach :-) Duplicating the
templates is more then likely going to lead to trouble and if we make
changes in Torque then you're going to have to copy the templates over.

> Regards,
> Chris
>
> =====
> Need somewhere to Live in London? - Then go to http://freeflats.com

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Torque is broken - proposed fix...

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

> > You might want to take a look at the TDK snapshot that Martin
> made
> > earlier on today:
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-turbine/alpha/
> >

> Thanks for that.  I am looking into it now.
>
> I am finding that my lack of knowledge of torque is the main thing
> holding me back   ;-)
>
> Time to learn some more...

OK - I have updated the DBPSML custom classes to extend the correct
torque om bits instead of turbine and all compiles fine.

I am now trying to run jetspeed with dbpsml enabled.

During the bit where it loads the file psml files into the db, I am
getting an error relating to torque not being initialised...

I have added the subsystem section to the turbine config - but still
does not seem to do the magic...

After the errors it also complains about no appender for log4j and
the log4j not being init'd - does this mean the torque config is not
complete - or log4j is not setup and thus causing problems?

Any help would be appreciated.
Chris

=====

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Sat, 2002-03-02 at 15:27, Chris Kimpton wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > I've tried this out and it seems to work.
> >

> Or then again, maybe not - I get various compilation errors - which I
> guess are the problems Martin mentioned:
>
> Fails to find  import org.apache.commons.util.ObjectUtils;
>
> Refers to org.apache.torque.map.MapBuilder not the turbine one.
>
> And a problem with a reference to "category" - perhaps log4j?
>
> Although I'd have though it would work with turbine-2 in CVS - but I
> can't get it to...

You might want to take a look at the TDK snapshot that Martin made
earlier on today:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-turbine/alpha/

This was made today with everything from CVS and Martin always tries the
sample app before producing the snapshot. Hope this helps.

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,