Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com> on 2009/04/10 19:56:05 UTC

Help with relevance failure in Solr 1.3

We have a rare, hard-to-reproduce problem with our Solr 1.3 servers, and
I would appreciate any ideas.

Ocassionally, a server will start returning results with really poor
relevance. Single term queries work fine, but multi-term queries are
scored based on the most common term (lowest IDF).

I don't see anything in the logs when this happens. We have a monitor
doing a search for the 100 most popular movies once per minute to
catch this, so we know when it was first detected.

I'm attaching two explain outputs, one for the query "changeling" and
one for "the changeling".

We are running Solr 1.3 with Lucene 2.4.0, and have added a fuzzy query
using JaroWinkler matching.

I'd appreciate ideas about where to look, what debug output to try, etc.

wunder

Re: Help with relevance failure in Solr 1.3

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com>.
Sorry to not respond for a week, it got busy here.

Here are the URL params for one request:

qt=simple
facet=true
facet.limit=-1
facet.mincount=3
q=type:group AND qt_all:IsCriticallyAcclaimed AND qt_all:InGenreComedy
facet.field=qt_toddscoregenres
facet.field=qt_genres
facet.field=qt_moods
[and so on for quite a few more fields]

I don't see any facet-specific stuff in solrconfig.xml.

wunder

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com>.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com>.
The JaroWinkler equals was broken, but I fixed that a month ago.

Query cache sounds possible, but those are cleared on a commit,
right?

I could run with a cache size of 0, since our middle tier HTTP
cache is leaving almost nothing for the caches to do.

I'll try that explain. The stored fields for the "correct" doc
are fine, because I can see them when I use a single-term query.
The indexed fields seem OK, because that query works.

wunder

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
> [...]

>>> monitor
>>> doing a search for the 100 most popular movies once per minute to
>>> catch this, so we know when it was first detected.
>>>
>>> I'm attaching two explain outputs, one for the query "changeling"
>>> and
>>> one for "the changeling".
>>

>> I'm not sure what exactly  you are asking, so bear with me...
>>
>> Are you saying that "the changeling" normally returns results just
>> fine and then periodically it will "go bad" or are you saying you
>> don't understand why "the changeling" scores differently from
>> "changeling"?  In looking at the explains, it is weird that in the
>> "the changeling" case, the term changeling doesn't even show up as a
>> term.
>>
>> Can you share your dismax configuration?  That will be easier to
>> parse
>> than trying to make sense of the debug query parsing.

Grant Ingersoll

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com>.
If you don't see the attachments, you can get them here:

http://wunderwood.org/solr/

wunder