Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chuck Amadi <ch...@smtl.co.uk> on 2004/08/24 15:37:22 UTC

[users@httpd] chroot cannot execute /usr/bin Permission denied (Within a Apache 2 Jail)

Hi I have deployed a chrooted Apache2 environment, on our new Linux web
server .

I did have everything working and just ready to test the multiple
virtual hosts (well two of the several we currently host) using the new
serevers /etc/hosts file and use one IP address with two short names.

Unfortunately over the weekend just gone we had a power cut and our
Network plus power to the building was off for several hours.

Since then when I execute as root within my chroot jail

/etc/init.d/syslog restart ok then -

chroot /chroot/jail/httpd /usr/bin/ -f /etc/conf/httpd.conf

I get the following error.

chroot cannot execute /usr/bin Permission denied .

I have set my jail to run as root but Apache has it's own system user
and group .

I am aware chroot serves to restrict the access of Apache and its child
processes to a small subset of the filesystem my jail and thus is a
Permission Issue but how do I debug I have had a look at the error logs
but it doesn't tell be much that I don't know in regards to issues
setting up vhosts  etc etc !.

Also checked tail -f /var/log/messages .

result from chrooted Apache2 /logs/error_logs last meaningful results .

Aug 19 caught SIGTERM, shutting down

I note that when I less httpd.pid file I had a process number .
But I really need guidance or howto diagnose and fix this problem as I
had nearly begun to test my vhosts and this has slowed my project time a
fair bit.

TIA

Chuck
--
Chuck Amadi, Systems Administrator, |  http://www.smtl.co.uk/
Surgical Materials Testing Lab,     |  http://www.worldwidewounds.com/

Re: [users@httpd] chroot cannot execute /usr/bin Permission denied (Within a Apache 2 Jail)

Posted by Chuck Amadi <ch...@smtl.co.uk>.
Hi All please ignore my previous email request

I'm sorry but after I checked my sys procedures doc's I had noticed
I had the wrong chroot command path .

chroot /chroot/jail/httpd /usr/bin/httpd -f /etc/conf/httpd.conf

Now works .

Cheers