Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by "Carlucci, Tony" <ac...@mitre.org> on 2011/11/23 16:02:33 UTC

Protocol for adding new entries to the message properties

Question for the group:  how should we handle situations where a new entry is added to the messages.properties file to ensure the proper alternate language files also get updated, especially when a non-Dutch speaking American is making the change :)

-          Create a sub-task to the story to update the other properties files and keep the story open until it is complete

-          Create one main "Translation" Epic that we keep open and add sub-tasks to for any translations that need to happen

-          Other?

Thanks, Tony

---
Anthony Carlucci | SW App Dev Eng, Sr. | R501 / KW App Development & Maint
e: acarlucci@mitre.org<ma...@mitre.org> | v: 781.271.2432 | f: 781.271.3299
The MITRE Corporation | 202 Burlington Rd | Bedford, MA 01730-1420

Re: Protocol for adding new entries to the message properties

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.
On 23 November 2011 16:02, Carlucci, Tony <ac...@mitre.org> wrote:

> Question for the group:  how should we handle situations where a new entry
> is added to the messages.properties file to ensure the proper alternate
> language files also get updated, especially when a non-Dutch speaking
> American is making the change :)

W00t, you don't speak Dutch? ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States#Dutch

> -          Create a sub-task to the story to update the other properties
> files and keep the story open until it is complete
>
> -          Create one main "Translation" Epic that we keep open and add
> sub-tasks to for any translations that need to happen
>
> -          Other?
>
> Thanks, Tony

In IntelliJ missing translations are easy to detect so after finishing one
or more stories you can nag me to add the missing Dutch translations. ;)
IMO having an ongoing Translation Epic is fine for now.
fmt:message doesn't break the rendering of the page if a translation is
missing, I'm not sure about the spring form error messages.

Jasha