Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Eric Yang <ey...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2010/06/01 23:28:53 UTC

[VOTE] Chukwa as TLP?

Please vote as to whether you think Chukwa should become a top-level
Apache project.

I've included below a draft board resolution.  It lists all current
active Chukwa committers as initial members of the project management
committee (PMC) and myself, Eric Yang, as the initial chair.

Do the good people of Hadoop support sending this request on to the Hadoop
PMC?

regards,
Eric

------------

   X. Establish the Apache Chukwa Project

      open-source software related to data serialization
      for distribution at no charge to the public.

      Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Chukwa Project",
      Foundation; and be it further

      RESOLVED, that the Apache Chukwa Project be and hereby is
      related to a distributed database; and be it further

      RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Chukwa" be
      and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
      serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
      of the Apache Chukwa Project, and to have primary responsibility
      for management of the projects within the scope of
      responsibility of the Apache Chukwa Project; and be it further

      Apache Chukwa Project:

        * Eric Yang <ey...@apache.org>
        * Ariel Rabkin <as...@apache.org>
        * Jerome Boulon <jb...@apache.org>
        * Bill Graham <bi...@gmail.com>
        * Jiaqi Tan <ta...@gmail.com>

      NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Eric Yang
      be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Chukwa, to
      serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
      death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
      or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

      RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Chukwa PMC be and hereby is
      tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
      encourage open development and increased participation in the
      Apache Chukwa Project; and be it further

      RESOLVED, that the Apache Chukwa Project be and hereby
      Hadoop Chukwa sub-project; and be it further

      Hadoop Chukwa sub-project encumbered upon the
      Apache Hadoop Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [VOTE] Chukwa as TLP?

Posted by Jiaqi Tan <ta...@gmail.com>.
I would also vote for incubation.

Jiaqi

Re: [VOTE] Chukwa as TLP?

Posted by Ariel Rabkin <as...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Chukwa as TLP?

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@linkedin.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Chukwa as TLP?

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Jun 1, 2010, at 2:28 PM, Eric Yang wrote:

> Please vote as to whether you think Chukwa should become a top-level
> Apache project.

-1

In my opinion, the Chukwa PMC doesn't have enough experience with the
Apache Way (ie. processes) to be a self-sustaining PMC. I'd be +1 for
moving to Incubator.

-- Owen