Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Scott Guthmann <sc...@on3solutions.com> on 2013/07/20 05:36:42 UTC

[Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

I would like to coordinate writing a press release to announce the arrival of Apache Flex 4.10, assuming it is ready for release. IMO, our project’s release notes [1] are very impressive. But, I’m not a developer & I do need some help generating the content and giving context to highlights in the RELEASE_NOTES that describes a difference or improvement from former versions.

Is anyone able to tell me how each of these bug fixes, additions, and improvements made the new v 4.10 a better SDK for businesses to use?

•	What business problems can a business manager solve with v 4.10 that weren't possible to solve with v 4.9.1?

•	Are you able to point to a company who needs the features & fixes that v 4.10 provides?

•	Who can give a testimonial about the improvements this version will make for their business? Saves money? Makes money? Saves time? Makes the firm more competitive in the marketplace?

•	Do any of the new enhancements in v 4.10 enable Flex SDK users to do something more easily or quickly for SDK users than those who choose other frameworks to develop custom software?

•	Does anyone know if ecosystem partners [2] for previous versions of Flex plan to support Apache Flex v 4.10?

•	It might also be helpful if anyone knows general demographic information about the Apache Flex Developer ecosystem. How many people remain active (commenting / contributing) on this Apache Flex Dev mailing list? What countries have at least one developer who contributed to a bug fix or code enhancement to this v 4.10? Anyone have an idea of how to estimate the number of worldwide Flex SDK users continue using Flex to build powerful enterprise applications?

Here is a link to the previous press release we did earlier this year [3].

[1] https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/develop/RELEASE_NOTES
[2] http://www.spoon.as/ecosystem/
[3] https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_announces39

Re: [Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Done.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
derp -- august 7th.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
June 7th? ;-)

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Scott,

I finally got a look at the doc.  Thanks for writing this up.  Some
comments:

1) Instead of "Voting member & committer of the Apache Flex PMC", which
sounds like a title, that it say "committer and member of the Apache Flex
PMC".
2) I'm not sure I understand this paragraph:

    The Project also announced the availability of version 4.10.0 of the
Apache Flex
    application framework.
    Apache Flex 4.10 and the Apache Flex SDK Installer 2.6 consisting of a
software
    development kit (SDK), a compiler, and automated testing tools.

We are not shipping an "application framework" as far as I know.  To me,
"application framework" means higher-level frameworks like Swiz, Parsley,
etc.  And then the second sentence starting with "Apache Flex 4.10"
doesn't really seem like a sentence.  If the "." after framework at the
end of the first sentence was supposed to be a "," then I don't understand
what we are "also" announcing other than the installer.  And, the
installer doesn't "consist" of a compiler, etc, but it does install one.

3) I think I would leave out the part about automated testing tools as
others suggested.

4) There's are more instances of "v4.10.0" and "v 4.10.0".  Please change
as Justin suggested.

5) In the first highlight, it should be "choose" not "chose".

6) Do we really want the release notes URL to be the one on GitHub?

7) I think "formatters, validations, date fields and date choosers." would
be better as "formatters, validators, and the DateField and DateChooser
components".

8) I don't think "work-arounds" needs a hyphen.

Thanks,
-Alex

Posted by Scott Guthmann <sc...@on3solutions.com>.
First, here is the shared document. Please let me know if you are not able to see it and edit it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bG5EDWbCYhujhu_oYl7f2eFaxmxfSTNTNa4o8W_DQQM/edit?usp=sharing

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
There hasn't been a release yet, we just passed the VOTE on which
candidate will be released. We wait for the release manager to tell us
when it's OK to start the marketing.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Scott,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 25, 2013 9:26 PM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 7/25/13 8:28 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> >HI,
> >
> >> I received a reply from the Apache VP of Publicity about distributing
> >>this as a press release on the Apache news wire. Unfortunately,
> >>distribution on the news wire service is not possible because it is not
> >>a major release (e.g. version N.0 or equivalent). Apache doesn't issue a
> >>press releases for incremental versions.
> >
> >Perhaps replay back and say it certainly could be considered a major
> >release and previous release was more than 6 months ago? Anyone think
> >otherwise? We did have announcements for 4.8 and 4.9 so I guess the
> >policy must of changed?
> I think there is a difference between a press release and an announcement.
>  It looks like we used announce@a.o for 4.9 and 4.9.1.  Wasn't our only
> "press release" related to graduation?
>

> >> She also suggested sending this to announce@apache.org in plain text
> >It probably a bit long for that if you look at other announcements to
> >that list, see the other thread for what I'm suggesting to post there.
> >
> >We could certainly put it up here on our blog
> >http://blogs.apache.org/flex/
> Seems like a good idea.
>
> I haven't had a chance to review the document yet.  My email shows that
> the document was posted only about 12 hours ago.  I think we should give
> at least 24 hours if not 72 hours for feedback from other timezones and
> folks like me who were fully occupied trying to investigate what I think
> is a stop-ship bug.

+1

Re: [Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Me too, that isn't right. The previous version wasn't 'protected' this way.

Scott?

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Scott Guthmann <sc...@on3solutions.com>.

Posted by Scott Guthmann <sc...@on3solutions.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Looks good - more minor mods required.

- "consist of a software development kit" should be "consisting of a"....  If I was being really picky I would talk about automated testing tools as they are not actually part of the release.
- change "The v4.10 release" to "The 4.10.0 release", this occurs in a few later palaces as well
- swap the two internationalisation points around ie one about dates after the one about multiple languages
- "Round Trip Engineering" shoudl be "Run Time Error"
- Im in 2 minds about 360|stack mention not 100% sure it has it place in this press release, sorry John.

+1 to we should mention Linux support.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Scott Guthmann <sc...@on3solutions.com>wrote:

> Thank you to those who contributed to this publicity document.
>
> This is a draft of a press release announcing the arrival of Apache Flex
> v4.10.
>

> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwtzQKOyBr2cQTdiMXdMNXRpMHM/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Do you see changes that need to be made?
> Are all the important features & benefits listed?
> What other information should we add?
>
> Scott

This looks fantastic!  A few points:

1.  "Almost half a million page views..." can be now changed to "more than
half a million page views...".  We hit that milestone a couple of days ago
:-)
2.  The new version of the Apache Flex SDK Installer would be 2.6 (and not
2.5 as mentioned in the doc)
3.  RTE - stands for "Run Time Error"
4.  I dont see a mention of the 232 bugs that were fixed in this release.
 This is very crucial.  Something along the lines of "More than 200 bugs
were fixed"...
5.  Not sure if it is appropriate to mention 360Flex here.  In any case, we
need to be remember to take it off from the PR if we release after Aug 4th.

6.  Agree with Erik - the paragraph about Incubator can be removed.  We are
top-level baby :-)

Thanks,
Om

[Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

Posted by Scott Guthmann <sc...@on3solutions.com>.
> Carlos said:
> I think is good, but agree that incubator paragraph should be removed

I agree.

> I miss Linux reference, since we now support it and this is a great step forward. I would point something like "Apache Flex now supports Linux making possible for development teams around the world to switch > and build his environment around this Operating System."

Great feedback. To me, Linux users seem irrationally attached to their O/S. So, adding a line about Linux has upside for those that want to see it without a downside.

> Frederic said:
> Depending to who document is intended for, maybe it would be relevant to detail the minimun, default and maximum version of the flash player supported (and tested) by the framework / installer.

I think this addition would improve the document, too.

What improvements / business benefits are in AF v4.10 that are missing from this document? https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwtzQKOyBr2cQTdiMXdMNXRpMHM/edit

Re: [Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
I think is good, but agree that incubator paragraph should be removed

I miss Linux reference, since we now support it and this is a great step
forward. I would point something like "Apache Flex now supports Linux
making possible for development teams around the world to switch and build
his environment around this Operating System."

So far great document :)

Carlos

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

Posted by Frédéric Thomas <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Hi,

I just did just a quick scan, will read more thoroughly later: to me
it seems that the paragraph about 'incubation' is no longer relevant,
since we graduated and are now a top level Apache project.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

[Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Also add:

Out of the box support for Advanced Telemetry allowing developers to easily profile their application and improve performance using Adobe Scout.

Justin

Re: [Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

And how could I forget better international support for dates in formatters, validations, date fields and date choosers!

Justin

Re: [Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Another very important: Better localization for multiple languages. Flex
4.10 is better now when trying to make application for multiple countries
and languages.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [Marketing] - publicity for the new Apache Flex v 4.10

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Bump...

We could use more participation from developers/users in this thread.  This
will be very useful when we write our marketing/PR material.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by FRANKLIN GARZON <fg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Scott,

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Scott,

> •       What business problems can a business manager solve with v 4.10 that weren't possible to solve with v 4.9.1?

Remain up to date; not particularly a feature of THIS release, sure,
but certainly a feature of any release and worth mentioning.

Also, the testing of the platform has improved considerably, making
this a much more stable, much more thoroughly vetted release.

> •       Are you able to point to a company who needs the features & fixes that v 4.10 provides?

Mine, for sure. With the new components we'll be able to offer our
clients a much richer UI experience, improving the effectiveness of
our applications.

> •       Do any of the new enhancements in v 4.10 enable Flex SDK users to do something more easily or quickly for SDK users than those who choose other frameworks to develop custom software?

As always, we're able to deliver to so many platforms from a single
codebase that it simply blows any other framework out of the water.

> •       It might also be helpful if anyone knows general demographic information about the Apache Flex Developer ecosystem. How many people remain active (commenting / contributing) on this Apache Flex Dev mailing list? What countries have at least one developer who contributed to a bug fix or code enhancement to this v 4.10? Anyone have an idea of how to estimate the number of worldwide Flex SDK users continue using Flex to build powerful enterprise applications?

We have dozens of active contributors. We have committers in the US,
Australia, the Netherlands, Germany, France, to name but a few. From
the stats:

http://www.seethestats.com/site/flex.apache.org

it is obvious that there is still a lot of interest in and usage of
the SDK, from all over the world.

Thanks,

EdB

--