Posted to dev@whirr.apache.org by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/19 11:23:51 UTC

Re: Virtualbox implementation

Hi all,

quick update on jclouds-virtualbox.

The provider is still on labs, but after the last improvements, I've
been able to successfully start up to 30 guests on my laptop without
problems.

I've also tested the jclouds-virtualbox provider with Apache Whirr:

bin/whirr launch-cluster --config recipes/zookeeper.properties
--private-key-file ~/.ssh/id_rsa_whirr --template
osFamily=UBUNTU,osVersionMatches=12.04

where $ cat recipes/zookeeper.properties

#
# Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
# contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
# this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
# The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
# (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
# the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
#     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.
#

#
# Deploy an Apache ZooKeeper cluster
#
whirr.cluster-name=zookeeper
whirr.instance-templates=3 zookeeper
whirr.bootstrap-user=toor:password

with default ram size for the guests 1024 Mb, and everything seems to
be in good shape.

I think it is a good result :)

If you are interested in having more details, feel free to ping me.

Thanks everyone for great team work particularly
Adrian Cole, David Alves, Mattias Holmqvist, Andrei Savu, Tony
Batchelli, Andrew Bayer and Patrick Debois.

Ciao,
Andrea

Posted by Karel Vervaeke <ka...@ngdata.com>.
http://aws.amazon.com/free/

It says there say you get m1.micro instances (m1.tiny is probably the
equivalent openstack term).

750 hours of Amazon EC2 Linux† Micro Instance usage (613 MB of memory
and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) – enough hours to run
continuously each month*
-> Yoinks. 613 MB sounds a bit tight for running a complete
zk+hadoop+hbase stack. I suppose if you split it up over multiple
nodes you could get somewhere.

30 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage, plus 2 million I/Os and 1 GB of
snapshot storage*
-> yay.

Posted by Frank Scholten <fr...@frankscholten.nl>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Frank Scholten <fr...@frankscholten.nl>.
Hi Andrea,

Great news! I looked into the Virtualbox provider as part of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-379 a few months ago but
then it still had some problems on Linux.

I'll have a look.

Thanks to everyone involved!

Cheers,

Frank

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Steve,

this is really interesting I'll give a look later today.

Thanks,
Andrea

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.
>From vbox IRC:

> Ioannis was suggesting to ask Oracle to relicense the jar

"The GPL2 license is Oracle policy and no, it is not possible to
relicense it as Apache2."

So apparently this is not an option.

Andrea

Re: Virtualbox implementation

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

we need your feedback!

Andrea

Posted by David Alves <da...@gmail.com>.
Awesome work Andrea!

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the tenacity, Andrea!

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
nice!

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Patrick,

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Brian for your help!

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karel,

that was not a typo: of course guests had only 512 mb memory and the test
only runs a bunch of ssh commands against the guests.

Andrea

Posted by Karel Vervaeke <ka...@ngdata.com>.
You can succesfully run 30 virtualbox guests in parallel on your laptop? o_O
Wondering if that's a typo or not - given the fact that your recipe
mentions 3 zookeeper nodes.

Regards,
Karel

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
-cut-
> The provider is still on labs, but after the last improvements, I've
> been able to successfully start up to 30 guests on my laptop without
> problems.

-cut-

Re: Virtualbox implementation

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.