Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com> on 2011/04/10 22:04:34 UTC

[DRAFT][REPORT] River Board Report April 2011

Comments always welcome, due date is 18th March.

Below is the April board report for River

Apache River is a distributed computing architecture, based on the JSK
Starter Kit Source code donated by Sun Microsystems, for the Jini
Specification.

Releases:
First TLP release still hasn't been cut.  This is due to a user
raising concerns about a newly discovered (or introduced?) bug with a
specific JDK on a specific OS.

Progress:
There has been some discussion on dev@.  There has been a marked drop
in the number of participants and areas of discussion though.  Some
progress has been made researching one or two areas of specific
interest regarding new River features.  This will be the last of our
monthly reports, we expect to change to quarterly reports from now on.

Community:
As above, community activity has dropped, but given the relative small
size of it one or two members being not participating for myriad
reasons has a disproportionate effect.  This is still not a concern
right now, however if it continues for another couple of months then
alarms bells should start to ring.

Issues:
No board issues at this time.

Re: [DRAFT][REPORT] River Board Report April 2011

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
Okay, will remove the alarm bells bit.  I wasn't have a dig at anyone with
it, just remarking on the number of messages sent to dev@ and commits - as
much my own activity as anyone else's.

There's a lot of interesting papers around about distributed state and fault
tolerance, isn't there?  it almost makes me wish I commuted to work on a
train to give me more time to read them... but only almost, I hate trains!

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.