Posted to scm-users@maven.apache.org by "House, Thomas" <Th...@McKesson.com> on 2010/06/15 00:29:39 UTC

Multi Module CVS Checkout

Hi Everyone - I'm having a problem checking out the code from my multi
module project - it's very frustrating and I've been working on it for a
few days, so any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the background - I have a multi module project where the parent
project is just used for meta data- in other words there is no code
associated with the parent, it's just used to configure settings common
to all child projects.  It builds nothing and its packaging is set to
POM.

I'm trying to check out my code from CVS

------------------------------

1. If I put the SCM element in the child pom's and remove it from the
parent then run mvn scm:checkout from the parent directory, I get the
error:

Cannot run checkout command :

Embedded error: Can't load the scm provider.

You need to define a connectionUrl parameter

I see no connectionUrl parameter within the SCM documentation.

------------------------------

2. If I put the SCM element in the parent pom and remove it from the
child pom's then run the mvn scm:checkout from the parent directory, I
get the error:

[ERROR] cvs server: cannot find module `reviewmanager' - ignored

cvs server: cannot find module `reviewmanager' - ignored

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR

Here it's trying to checkout the artifactId of reviewmanager, which is
the artifactId for the parent.  However since the packaging is set to
POM, I'd think Maven would skip the parent knowing that it's a project
for meta data only

My scm configuration for the top 2 tries is structured like this:

  <scm>

<connection>scm:cvs:pserver:herestheuser:heresthepassword@server.domain:
/ABC/DEF:${artifactId}</connection>

<developerConnection>scm:cvs:pserver:herestheuser:heresthepassword@serve
r.domain:/ABC/DEF:${artifactId}</developerConnection>

       <tag>HEAD</tag>

  </scm>

------------------------------

3. If I keep the configuration in the parent and remove the artifactId
from the connection / developerConnection and then run mvn scm:checkout
then I get the following error:

Cannot run checkout command

Embedded error: Exception while executing SCM command

Username isn't defined.

The scm config for this last attempt is like this:

  <scm>

<connection>scm:cvs:pserver:herestheuser:heresthepassword@server.domain:
/ABC/DEF</connection>

<developerConnection>scm:cvs:pserver:herestheuser:heresthepassword@serve
r.domain:/ABC/DEF</developerConnection>

       <tag>HEAD</tag>

  </scm>

4.  If I take the same configuration (as used in the top 2 examples With
the ${artifactId}) and put it in any of the child pom's and then run the
mvn scm:checkout from the Child Directory, then it works fine.

This seems like it would be a very common usecase so I'm surprised I
can't find more information about it on the web.  Maybe I'm doing a bad
job searching.