Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Michael Pisula <mi...@tngtech.com> on 2016/01/07 22:24:32 UTC

Spark job uses only one Worker

Hi there,

I ran a simple Batch Application on a Spark Cluster on EC2. Despite having 3
Worker Nodes, I could not get the application processed on more than one
node, regardless if I submitted the Application in Cluster or Client mode.
I also tried manually increasing the number of partitions in the code, no
effect. I also pass the master into the application.
I verified on the nodes themselves that only one node was active while the
job was running.
I pass enough data to make the job take 6 minutes to process.
The job is simple enough, reading data from two S3 files, joining records on
a shared field, filtering out some records and writing the result back to
S3.

Tried all kinds of stuff, but could not make it work. I did find similar
questions, but had already tried the solutions that worked in those cases.
Would be really happy about any pointers.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Spark job uses only one Worker

Posted by Michael Pisula <mi...@tngtech.com>.
All the workers were connected, I even saw the job being processed on
different workers, so that was working fine.
I will fire up the cluster again tomorrow and post the results of
connecting to 7077 and using --total-executor-cores 4.

Thanks for the help

Michael Pisula * michael.pisula@tngtech.com * +49-174-3180084

Posted by Michael Pisula <mi...@tngtech.com>.
So, tried it again.
For 7077 I get this error:
16/01/08 18:59:58 WARN rest.RestSubmissionClient: Unable to connect to
server spark://ec2-54-229-68-25.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:7077.
Warning: Master endpoint
spark://ec2-54-229-68-25.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:7077 was not a
REST server. Falling back to legacy submission gateway instead.

As for --total-executor-cores, again, no effect.

See the attached screenshot, the topmost job lists only one core. Three
workers are running with 2 cores each.
This is the command I used:
spark/bin/spark-submit --num-executors 4 --class
com.tngtech.spark.StaticDataAnalysis --master spark://host:6066
--total-executor-cores 4 --deploy-mode cluster

Posted by Igor Berman <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prem Sure <pr...@gmail.com>.
to narrow down,you can try below
1) is the job going to same node everytime( when you execute job multiple
times)?. enable property spark.speculation, keep thread.sleep for 2 mins
and see if the job is going to a different worker from the executor posted
on initially. ( trying to find, there are no connection or setup related
issue)
2) whats your spark.executor.memory. try decreasing executor memory to a
value less than data size and if that helps in distributing.
3 While launching the cluster, play around with with number of slaves -
start with 1
./spark-ec2 -k <keypair> -i <key-file> -s <num-slaves> launch <cluster-name>

Posted by Michael Pisula <mi...@tngtech.com>.
Hi Annabel,

Posted by Michael Pisula <mi...@tngtech.com>.

Posted by Igor Berman <ig...@gmail.com>.