Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com> on 2002/01/22 12:08:18 UTC

TreeProcessor speed

Hi team,

I just did some time measurements to compare the compiled and
interpreted sitemap engines. The tests were done on a 1GHz Win2K PC
running JDK 1.3.1/server hotspot and Tomcat 4.0.

I used "ab" to load-test two pages with 1000 requests :
- the welcome page (cocoon/welcome) which involves a simple
generate/transform/serialize pipeline
- the main docs page (cocoon/documents/index.html) which is a huge
aggregation of "cocoon:" sources.

Several 1000 page requests were run and their result ignored to allow
the hotspot to do its job.

The results are as follows, in requets/second :

page     |  compiled  |interpreted |
---------+------------+------------|
welcome  |   105      |    115     |
docs     |    37      |     35     |

These results are quite encouraging since simple pipelines are a faster
in interpreted mode.

For the "docs" page, I have to check the code for both aggregate and
cocoon: to gain the few millisecs that are needed to beat the compiled
engine ;

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: TreeProcessor speed

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> I just did some time measurements to compare the compiled and
> interpreted sitemap engines. The tests were done on a 1GHz Win2K PC
> running JDK 1.3.1/server hotspot and Tomcat 4.0.
>
> I used "ab" to load-test two pages with 1000 requests :
> - the welcome page (cocoon/welcome) which involves a simple
> generate/transform/serialize pipeline
> - the main docs page (cocoon/documents/index.html) which is a huge
> aggregation of "cocoon:" sources.
>
> Several 1000 page requests were run and their result ignored to allow
> the hotspot to do its job.
>
> The results are as follows, in requets/second :
>
> page     |  compiled  |interpreted |
> welcome  |   105      |    115     |
> docs     |    37      |     35     |
>
> These results are quite encouraging since simple pipelines are a faster
> in interpreted mode.
>
> For the "docs" page, I have to check the code for both aggregate and
> cocoon: to gain the few millisecs that are needed to beat the compiled
> engine ;

All I can say is 'great job' and keep it up!

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.