Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/06 01:55:34 UTC

[OO.o] updated mailing lists in proposal

I just updated the proposal to provide more detail on the requested
mailing lists. Figured it would be good to discuss here.

This is what I entered into the wiki:
----
The following mailing lists:

oo-dev@incubator.apache.org - for developer discussions
oo-commits@incubator.apache.org - for Subversion commit messages
oo-issues@incubator.apache.org - for JIRA change notifications
oo-notifications@incubator.apache.org - for continuous build/test notifications

Note: a users mailing is not being requested at this time. It is
anticipated that users will interact with the community through
existing OpenOffice.org systems.
----

In particular, note the lack of a users mailing list. I don't think
we'd want one to start, but may want it after a release is made during
incubation. Thoughts?

The other four lists are pretty standard for Apache projects. Feedback
most welcome!

Cheers,
-g

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote on Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 20:37:01 -0400:
> Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/05/2011 07:55:34 PM:
>

> > I just updated the proposal to provide more detail on the requested
> > mailing lists. Figured it would be good to discuss here.
> >
> > This is what I entered into the wiki:
> > ----
> > The following mailing lists:
> >
> > oo-dev@incubator.apache.org - for developer discussions
> > oo-commits@incubator.apache.org - for Subversion commit messages
> > oo-issues@incubator.apache.org - for JIRA change notifications
> > oo-notifications@incubator.apache.org - for continuous build/test
> > notifications
> >
> > Note: a users mailing is not being requested at this time. It is
> > anticipated that users will interact with the community through
> > existing OpenOffice.org systems.
> > ----
> >
> > In particular, note the lack of a users mailing list. I don't think
> > we'd want one to start, but may want it after a release is made during
> > incubation. Thoughts?
> >
> > The other four lists are pretty standard for Apache projects. Feedback
> > most welcome!
> >

> Could you review what user services Apache projects typically provide? I
> assume it is one or more mailing lists, a bug tracker, and a release
> repository.  Anything else?  User-facing blogs?  Forums, i.e., non-mail
> enabled by default, as opposed to mailing lists?

Per-project blogs on blogs.a.o.

No non-mail forums.

trademarks@ and press@ support on those lists.

Not sure about "anything else" at his time of the night^Wmorning.

Posted by ro...@us.ibm.com.
Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/05/2011 07:55:34 PM:

> I just updated the proposal to provide more detail on the requested
> mailing lists. Figured it would be good to discuss here.
>
> This is what I entered into the wiki:
> ----
> The following mailing lists:
>
> oo-dev@incubator.apache.org - for developer discussions
> oo-commits@incubator.apache.org - for Subversion commit messages
> oo-issues@incubator.apache.org - for JIRA change notifications
> oo-notifications@incubator.apache.org - for continuous build/test
> notifications
>
> Note: a users mailing is not being requested at this time. It is
> anticipated that users will interact with the community through
> existing OpenOffice.org systems.
> ----
>
> In particular, note the lack of a users mailing list. I don't think
> we'd want one to start, but may want it after a release is made during
> incubation. Thoughts?
>
> The other four lists are pretty standard for Apache projects. Feedback
> most welcome!

Could you review what user services Apache projects typically provide? I
assume it is one or more mailing lists, a bug tracker, and a release
repository.  Anything else?  User-facing blogs?  Forums, i.e., non-mail
enabled by default, as opposed to mailing lists?

In the initial discussions the thought was to divide the project web
presence from the end-user web presence.  Reasons for this include the
many thousands of inbound links to OpenOffice.org.  But some systems need
to be easily accessible to both users and project members, e.g., the bug
tracker.

More than one way to do this, but it would be good to know the range of
what is possible at Apache.

-Rob

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 21:03, Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 20:07, Alexandro Colorado<jz...@openoffice.org>
>>  wrote:

>>> OpenOffice.org official contaction is 'OOo' not 'oo' I think is enough
>>> time
>>> to correct these mailing lists. I wrote a more lenghty email but I think
>>> the
>>> discussions should be better understood by Apache admins.
>>
>> The mailing lists haven't been constructed yet. We can easily change
>> the request to ooo-*. I was just trying to keep the names short :-)
>>
>> Opinions, people? Should they be "oo-*" or "ooo-*"? (the former could
>> work if we call it "Apache OpenOffice")
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -g
>
> I have to agree with Alexandro on this.  The OpenOffice.org (OOo or ooo) has
> long be established and it will be very confusing to users to change now.
>  For internal use the oo-* may work but feel that it maybe best to use ooo-*
> as new people come aboard.  Even the "Apache OpenOffice" will cause
> confusion.

I just went to update the wiki to switch to the ooo- convention, and
somebody beat me to it :-D

My intent was to keep it as short as possible, but precedent is better.

Thanks,
-g

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Greg Stein wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 20:07, Alexandro Colorado<jz...@openoffice.org>  wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Greg Stein<gs...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I just updated the proposal to provide more detail on the requested
>>> mailing lists. Figured it would be good to discuss here.
>>>
>>> This is what I entered into the wiki:
>>> ----
>>> The following mailing lists:
>>>
>>> oo-dev@incubator.apache.org - for developer discussions
>>> oo-commits@incubator.apache.org - for Subversion commit messages
>>> oo-issues@incubator.apache.org - for JIRA change notifications
>>> oo-notifications@incubator.apache.org - for continuous build/test
>>> notifications
>>>
>>> Note: a users mailing is not being requested at this time. It is
>>> anticipated that users will interact with the community through
>>> existing OpenOffice.org systems.
>>
>> OpenOffice.org official contaction is 'OOo' not 'oo' I think is enough time
>> to correct these mailing lists. I wrote a more lenghty email but I think the
>> discussions should be better understood by Apache admins.
>
> The mailing lists haven't been constructed yet. We can easily change
> the request to ooo-*. I was just trying to keep the names short :-)
>
> Opinions, people? Should they be "oo-*" or "ooo-*"? (the former could
> work if we call it "Apache OpenOffice")
>
> Cheers,
> -g

I have to agree with Alexandro on this.  The OpenOffice.org (OOo or ooo)
has long be established and it will be very confusing to users to change
now.  For internal use the oo-* may work but feel that it maybe best to
use ooo-* as new people come aboard.  Even the "Apache OpenOffice" will
cause confusion.

Just my 2cents.

Andy

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

sa3ruby@gmail.com wrote on 06/05/2011 09:01:08 PM:

> > Since this is question that is pervasive in the project, I'd recommend
> > that after this proposal is accepted, that there be a consultation
with
> > ASF Legal Affairs on the trademark *before* any project infrastructure
is
> > created.
>
> Mention that in the proposal.
>
> > -Rob

Done.

-Rob

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 8:53 PM,  <ro...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> acolorado@gmail.com wrote on 06/05/2011 08:07:29 PM:
>
>> OpenOffice.org official contaction is 'OOo' not 'oo' I think is enough
> time
>> to correct these mailing lists. I wrote a more lenghty email but I think
> the
>> discussions should be better understood by Apache admins.
>>

> +1
>
> Since this is question that is pervasive in the project, I'd recommend
> that after this proposal is accepted, that there be a consultation with
> ASF Legal Affairs on the trademark *before* any project infrastructure is
> created.

Mention that in the proposal.

> -Rob

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
FWIW, renaming our lists is largely a scripted operation.
I wouldn't hold up creation of mailing lists simply because
we can't figure out what the best names for them are.

Posted by ro...@us.ibm.com.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just updated the proposal to provide more detail on the requested
> mailing lists. Figured it would be good to discuss here.
>
> This is what I entered into the wiki:
> ----
> The following mailing lists:
>
> oo-dev@incubator.apache.org - for developer discussions
> oo-commits@incubator.apache.org - for Subversion commit messages
> oo-issues@incubator.apache.org - for JIRA change notifications
> oo-notifications@incubator.apache.org - for continuous build/test
> notifications
>
> Note: a users mailing is not being requested at this time. It is
> anticipated that users will interact with the community through
> existing OpenOffice.org systems.

OpenOffice.org official contaction is 'OOo' not 'oo' I think is enough time
to correct these mailing lists. I wrote a more lenghty email but I think the
discussions should be better understood by Apache admins.

> ----
>
> In particular, note the lack of a users mailing list. I don't think
> we'd want one to start, but may want it after a release is made during
> incubation. Thoughts?
>
> The other four lists are pretty standard for Apache projects. Feedback
> most welcome!
>
> Cheers,
> -g

*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español
http://es.openoffice.org

Posted by Volker Merschmann <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2011/6/6 Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 3:16 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> On 6/5/2011 7:13 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>> There are 146 projects listed on OpenOffice.org - all with mailing
>>> lists. Last time I read the proposal, it wasn't clear how many of
>>> these are active and being brought across. It does suggest though that
>>> a single dev list is not sufficient.
>>
>> Can you break these down into the number of projects generating >1 message
>> per day?
>
> According to Markmail (http://openoffice.markmail.org/) the following
> 37 openoffice.org mailing lists received more than 365 messages in
> 2010:

These are generated lists:
>     1) org.openoffice.allbugs           61,312
>     5) org.openoffice.allcvs             3,136
>    20) org.openoffice.cws-announce         950
>    32) org.openoffice.dba.needsconfirm     446

Please take also in account that most of the community went away at
least in october 2010 and most lists are dead since then.

Volker

--
Volker Merschmann
Member of The Document Foundation

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
2011/6/7 André Schnabel <an...@gmx.net>

It is only that you have at a rather low-traffic apache list guests who are
> used to discuss on high-traffic lists. And discussion is often with lots of
> emotion (but seems to clam down).

Ah, nostalgia, it's just like the good old days on the OOo marketing list
:-)

“Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion.”
(Hebbel 1813-1863).

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: [OO.o] updated mailing lists in proposal

Posted by André Schnabel <an...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Am 07.06.2011 20:30, schrieb Donald Whytock:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> According to Markmail (http://openoffice.markmail.org/) the following
>> 37 openoffice.org mailing lists received more than 365 messages in
>> 2010:
> Based on the volume here over the last week, how many of those lists
> got all 365 messages in one day?

although there are mailing lists with typical "peaks" at OOo (qa an
release lists short before release, user lists short after relase) as
well as some with only seasonal use (conference planning lists) none of
the lists would have such extreme peaks as you see here.

It is only that you have at a rather low-traffic apache list guests who
are used to discuss on high-traffic lists. And discussion is often with
lots of emotion (but seems to clam down).

regards,

André

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 3:16 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On 6/5/2011 7:13 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>> There are 146 projects listed on OpenOffice.org - all with mailing
>> lists. Last time I read the proposal, it wasn't clear how many of
>> these are active and being brought across. It does suggest though that
>> a single dev list is not sufficient.
>
> Can you break these down into the number of projects generating >1 message
> per day?

According to Markmail (http://openoffice.markmail.org/) the following
37 openoffice.org mailing lists received more than 365 messages in
2010:

     1) org.openoffice.allbugs           61,312
     2) org.openoffice.users              7,780
     3) org.openoffice.de.users           6,215
     4) org.openoffice.fr.users           4,318
     5) org.openoffice.allcvs             3,136
     6) org.openoffice.de.dev             2,943
     7) org.openoffice.marketing.dev      2,281
     8) org.openoffice.user-faq.authors   2,204
     9) org.openoffice.dev                2,171
    10) org.openoffice.discuss            1,809
    11) org.openoffice.l10n.dev           1,787
    12) org.openoffice.fr.qa-test         1,694
    13) org.openoffice.br-pt.usuarios     1,439
    14) org.openoffice.it.utenti          1,426
    15) org.openoffice.releases           1,407
    16) org.openoffice.ja.translate       1,308
    17) org.openoffice.es.discuss_es      1,281
    18) org.openoffice.api.dev            1,030
    19) org.openoffice.it.localizzazione  1,012
    20) org.openoffice.cws-announce         950
    21) org.openoffice.ux.discuss           819
    22) org.openoffice.qa.dev               717
    23) org.openoffice.es.users             668
    24) org.openoffice.fr.discuss           598
    25) org.openoffice.website.dev          553
    26) org.openoffice.es.dev               550
    27) org.openoffice.distribution.dev     524
    28) org.openoffice.de.qa                523
    29) org.openoffice.documentation.dev    510
    30) org.openoffice.nl.gebruikers        473
    31) org.openoffice.fr.dev               460
    32) org.openoffice.dba.needsconfirm     446
    33) org.openoffice.ja.discuss           429
    34) org.openoffice.de.cdrom             428
    35) org.openoffice.dba.dev              372
    36) org.openoffice.l10n.tools           372
    37) org.openoffice.native-lang.dev      370

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 6/5/2011 7:13 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just updated the proposal to provide more detail on the requested
>> mailing lists. Figured it would be good to discuss here.
>>
>> This is what I entered into the wiki:
>> ----
>> The following mailing lists:
>>
>> oo-dev@incubator.apache.org - for developer discussions
>> oo-commits@incubator.apache.org - for Subversion commit messages
>> oo-issues@incubator.apache.org - for JIRA change notifications
>> oo-notifications@incubator.apache.org - for continuous build/test notifications
>>
>> Note: a users mailing is not being requested at this time. It is
>> anticipated that users will interact with the community through
>> existing OpenOffice.org systems.
>> ----
>>
>> In particular, note the lack of a users mailing list. I don't think
>> we'd want one to start, but may want it after a release is made during
>> incubation. Thoughts?
>
> There are 146 projects listed on OpenOffice.org - all with mailing
> lists. Last time I read the proposal, it wasn't clear how many of
> these are active and being brought across. It does suggest though that
> a single dev list is not sufficient.

Can you break these down into the number of projects generating >1 message
per day?

Likely there can be a bunch of efficiency here in only creating sublists
for the highest traffic topics.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Am 06.06.11 02:55, schrieb Greg Stein:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 20:47, Raphael Bircher<r....@gmx.ch>  wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Because this is my first mail, I give a short introduction to myself.
>>
>> I'm Raphael Bircher from Switzerland. I contribute for OOo since 5 years as
>> QA and in same other tecnical parts. I was involved by the migration to the
>> kenai Infrastructur, and I'm willing to help by seting up the new
>> infrastructure, if this help is welcome from the ASF side.
> Welcome!
>
> If you're interested in infrastructure, then Joe Schaefer recommended
> joining the infrastructure@apache.org mailing list[1].
As I hav not enough lists ;-) No, I will subscribe it.
>> Am 06.06.11 02:13, schrieb Niall Pemberton:
>>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Greg Stein<gs...@gmail.com>    wrote:
>>> There are 146 projects listed on OpenOffice.org - all with mailing
>>> lists. Last time I read the proposal, it wasn't clear how many of
>>> these are active and being brought across. It does suggest though that
>>> a single dev list is not sufficient.
>> We have many many lists, a load of this lists are dead. Anyway, The 4 lists
>> are ok, if this is onli for the startup while the kenai infrastructure from
>> Oracle is running. If we realy switch to apache, we need much more ML, e.g
>> for native language projects, etc.
> That was my thought, too. Also note that we're talking about an
> initial committer list of around 40-50 people (it is approaching 40
> now). That many people can easily work on a single list. And yeah...
> over time, more lists can be constructed as necessary. We're just
> talking about the initial set.
In fact, I think, there are many more. The project is big end many
people does not know that they should list themself to the initial proposal.
> And similar to you, I feel pretty strong about keeping it minimal.
> Separating across too many lists might lose the necessary "critical
> mass".
Yes, but a list with hunderts of mails per day is not realy funny too ;-)

Greetings Raphael

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

[1] send mail to infrastructure-subscribe@apache.org

Posted by ro...@us.ibm.com.
Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote on 06/05/2011 08:47:42 PM:

> Because this is my first mail, I give a short introduction to myself.
>
> I'm Raphael Bircher from Switzerland. I contribute for OOo since 5 years

> as QA and in same other tecnical parts. I was involved by the migration
> to the kenai Infrastructur, and I'm willing to help by seting up the new

> infrastructure, if this help is welcome from the ASF side.

Thanks, and welcome aboard!   Expertise like yours will be essential to
the success of the migration and initial setup work.

-Rob

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Hi all

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just updated the proposal to provide more detail on the requested
> mailing lists. Figured it would be good to discuss here.
>
> This is what I entered into the wiki:
> ----
> The following mailing lists:
>
> oo-dev@incubator.apache.org - for developer discussions
> oo-commits@incubator.apache.org - for Subversion commit messages
> oo-issues@incubator.apache.org - for JIRA change notifications
> oo-notifications@incubator.apache.org - for continuous build/test notifications
>
> Note: a users mailing is not being requested at this time. It is
> anticipated that users will interact with the community through
> existing OpenOffice.org systems.
> ----
>
> In particular, note the lack of a users mailing list. I don't think
> we'd want one to start, but may want it after a release is made during
> incubation. Thoughts?

There are 146 projects listed on OpenOffice.org - all with mailing
lists. Last time I read the proposal, it wasn't clear how many of
these are active and being brought across. It does suggest though that
a single dev list is not sufficient.

Niall