Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ganey, Todd" <ga...@dshs.wa.gov> on 2002/03/26 23:54:21 UTC

JSP compile error when switching JDK to 1.4.0

I know this has been posted before, but I either missed or there was no
solution posted on how to correct the JSP compile error when you switch JDKs
from (in my case) 1.3.02 to 1.4.0 in Jakarta TC 4.0.3 on a Windows 2000 or
ME machine.

after installing the new JDK, pointing references to the new JDK, and after
removing (or not removing) the old JDK, starting Tomcat and then trying to
access a JSP page (ex. the examples)

I get this exception (only the first line shown) :

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSPerror:
Invalid class file format in
C:\J2SDK1.4.0\JRE\lib\rt.jar(java/lang/Object.class).  The major.minor
version '48.0' is too recent for this tool to understand.

Now I have hunted the registry and done some searches through contents of
the Tomcat files thinking something still needed to be switched over, but I
have been unable to find the smoking gun.  As of right now the only way I
have found to fix this problem is to reinstall Tomcat (the typical Windows
thing to do and very easy, thanks for a good installer), but I would prefer
to know what is causing this and how I could fix it without a reinstall.

Thank you,

Todd Ganey