Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2002/03/22 20:29:30 UTC

Re: Virtual Domain Specific Users?

Mike wrote:
> I've been looking through the docs and the archive and have not found this question:  If I have a box with a single static IP hosting three virtual domains (a.com, b.com, c.com), can I specify that a user belongs to a specific domain?  I don't want all users to belong to all domains, just one.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

The problem is POP needs to have unique user names since it does not
support virtual domains.  So from an administrative perspective, the
trick is allowing the server to understand that you're working with the
"domain1.com" list of users, so then I can just think of "joesmith" as a
username.  Then Joe would need to be told his username was
joesmith.domain1, or something like that.  There have been several
proposals, but there hasn't been consensus, and not enough developer
cycles to just pick a decent one and implement/add it yet.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: Virtual Domain Specific Users?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Like Danny said, the biggest slowdown is from the lack of time of the
volunteers.  There have been more significant conversations about the
challenges of virtual domains (search the archives for 'virtual domains'
in james-dev and james-user and you'll see about 60 messages spread
across the past 1.5 years).

It is a top priority, but it's not a simple change, and the patches in
the fall were not very elegant (in my opinion)... they avoided making
some more fundamental changes that are really necessary to support
virtual domains.  They're fine patches if you need that in the short
term, so maybe we should include it as an optional download or
unsupported patch.  I still have the emails in my inbox to hopefully get
to at some point.  Incidentally, I'm supporting 5 domains on my James
server so I definitely would like a better way to approach it than have
to do my manually remember to add ".domain" to each user name and give
users the appropriate instructions.

If you've got the time to start a new project, I'd encourage you to try
to channel that energy towards the James project.  I think there's a lot
of good code here and the cooperation will benefit everyone.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
>     I don't aggre. What seems to happen is that the people that actually
> develop James are interested in a personal mail server and not in a
> multidomain server. There is only two messages in September 2001
> what can be
> called a discussion about multidomain in the last year. I implement
> multidomain some time ago and send it to the list but after that
> there is no
> answer.
>
>     I understand that this is a change difficult to do because it affects
> several classes in the code, but without it James is only usable
> as a single
> domain server, what is enough for some people but not for all.

In some respects you are right, it is indeed enough for many people that
James serve a single userbase.

However it is not true that "the people that actually develop James are
interested in a personal mail server and not in a multidomain server". In
fact adding virtual host support to James has been discussed a number of
times since september, and is understood to be a key goal.
The fact that it is suffering from lack of progress is largely due to the
fact that most of the developers of James are unable to make significant
commitments of their time at the moment.

The two Simple schemes for multiple domains which have been proposed do not
fully implement the functionality true virtual hosts would have (completely
seperate mailet processes, binding to different IP addresses for instance)
and both fall foul of the naming convention problem.

Personally I believe that naming conventions in any application are the last
resort. A true solution shouldn't restrict the variety of names that can be
used, and that a better solution is possible in this case.

d.

Re: Virtual Domain Specific Users?

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Virtual Domain Specific Users?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Thanks Jeff... this looks basic enough that I can just take this, add
some information on how you manage the user accounts accordingly, and
make it into a mini HOWTO page for the James website.  Then while we
sort out how to modify James to more readily support virtual domains, we
can at least provide some instructions.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/