Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by sharath reddy <re...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/17 22:02:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Mapping URL to remote file system

Hi all,

How can i map URL to a file system on remote box?

.. if my apache is running as  www.example.com
<http://www.example.com/test>, then if i want to serve content for
www.example.com/test from different box other than local server

Any suggestions?

Re: [users@httpd] Mapping URL to remote file system

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 4/18/07, sharath reddy <re...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I went through reverse proxy documentation, can i use this reverse proxy
> solution, if i want to map URLs to remote file system which is not a
> webserver

No.

Obviously there is no way to access a remote file system unless it is
somehow shared with the webserver. So how is the remote filesystem
accessible to the webserver? If is accessible as a normal, mountable
filesystem, then just mount it, make sure the permissions are correct,
and then treat it like any other directory on the local filesystem.

(Or, in other words, your problem is way under-specified. If you want
specific help, you need to give us specifics of your setup.)

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Mapping URL to remote file system

Posted by sharath reddy <re...@gmail.com>.
On 4/17/07, Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

> On 4/17/07, detlev von davidson <ap...@dpit.de> wrote:
> >

> > sharath reddy wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > How can i map URL to a file system on remote box?
> > >
> > > .. if my apache is running as  www.example.com
> > > <http://www.example.com/test> , then if i want to serve content for
> > > www.example.com/test <http://www.example.com/test> from different box
> > > other than local server
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> >
> > presuming by "different box" you mean another webserver, mod_rewrite
> > comes to mind, and as it is, this link here (not all to deeply hidden in
> > the doc pages ;-) sports sort of a howto:
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/rewriteguide.html

is it possible to use mod_rewrite ,if the other box is not a web server ?

I think he's actually looking for a reverse proxy. An introduction to
> the topic is here
> http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies
>
> Joshua.

I went through reverse proxy documentation, can i use this reverse proxy
solution, if i want to map URLs to remote file system which is not a
webserver

Thanks,
Sharath

Re: [users@httpd] Mapping URL to remote file system

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by detlev von davidson <ap...@dpit.de>.

sharath reddy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How can i map URL to a file system on remote box?
>
> .. if my apache is running as  www.example.com
> <http://www.example.com/test> , then if i want to serve content for
> www.example.com/test <http://www.example.com/test> from different box
> other than local server
>
> Any suggestions?

presuming by "different box" you mean another webserver, mod_rewrite
comes to mind, and as it is, this link here (not all to deeply hidden in
the doc pages ;-) sports sort of a howto:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/rewriteguide.html

suerte, dave