Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org> on 2018/07/29 11:19:00 UTC

Turbine 4.1 - Java 8 --> Servlet 3.1

Shall we? It's easy.

Bye, Thomas

Re: Turbine 4.1 - Java 8 --> Servlet 3.1

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
On 30.07.18 20:42, Jeffery Painter wrote:

> +1 on Turbine 5.0
>
> You meant servlet 3.1 right? :-)

The annotations appeared in 3.0, actually. The dependency is on 3.1,
however.

Posted by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com>.
+1 on Turbine 5.0

You meant servlet 3.1 right? :-)

--
Jeff

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de>.
++1 ;-) We have then to be careful, if updating Fulcrum components, may be
we should add +1 to the minor (or major) version to indicate, that Java 8
is required?

Best regards, Georg

Von:    Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>
An:     Turbine Developers List <de...@turbine.apache.org>
Datum:  29.07.2018 13:19
Betreff:        Turbine 4.1 - Java 8 --> Servlet 3.1

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
On 03.08.18 12:22, Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> - What about WebSockets?

... and non-blocking IO (may be this imposes a challenge to Velocity?)
... and the Servlet 3.0 security model

Bye, Thomas

RE: Re: Turbine 4.1 - Java 8 --> Servlet 3.1

Posted by Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de>.
Hi,

thanks a lot for starting this!

Providing some information from my viewpoint

- I am not using "loggingRoot" anywhere
- Tests for annotations must be done ..
- Servlet 4.x, http2, doHead et al. - I am not yet fully aware of chances,
requirements..

I have to check the implications of the file/parts and configuration
updates/changes yet.

- the archetype app should be updated appropriately, I' ll check this..

If I find some helpful hints on the way I will provide them of course
(documentation, tests, javadoc)..

Best regards, Georg

Von:    Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>
An:     Turbine Developers List <de...@turbine.apache.org>
Datum:  03.08.2018 13:22
Betreff:        Re: Turbine 4.1 - Java 8 --> Servlet 3.1

Hi Jeff,

On 01.08.18 22:33, Jeffery Painter wrote:
> I see you have been busy.  Is there any particular area I could help
> with directly that would be of use?

I basically try to work my way through the comments of Georg in the POM
and some consequences I see from moving to Servlet 3.1 and Java8

There are quite a few places where Java-8 constructs make the code
easier or allow dependencies to be eliminated. So feel free to browse
around and improve.

I also found several places where test coverage is lacking, for example
in the area of @TurbineRequiredPermission and @TurbineRequiredRole

Some questions came to mind when working on the JavaDocs of Turbine, like
- Does anyone use the "loggingRoot" init parameter? Or even know a
situation where this makes sense? I suggest to remove
Turbine.createRuntimeDirectories(ServletContext, ServletConfig)
completely.
- Shall we provide hooks for e.g. doHead(), doPut() or getLastModified()?
- What about WebSockets?
- Actually, Servlet 4.0 is current. We need to prepare for HTTP/2
- What are the consequences of Serlvet 3.0 annotations for the Archetype
application?

This is currently what I have in mind. Thanks for offering your support.
go ahead if you see an itch to scratch.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeff,

Posted by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com>.
Hi Thomas,

I see you have been busy.  Is there any particular area I could help
with directly that would be of use?

Cheers,
Jeff

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.