Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Jason Foster <ja...@uwaterloo.ca> on 2001/05/22 00:13:11 UTC

Suppressing self-terminating elements

This might not be the appropriate locale to ask this question, so
apologies in advance.

I am trying to insert an HTML TEXTAREA element into a document as
follows:

  <TEXTAREA><xsl:value-of select="$contents"/></TEXTAREA>

In some cases "$contents" is empty.  In the resulting document I get:

  <TEXTAREA/>

This makes sense but poses a problem.  Most browsers can't handle a
self-terminating TEXTAREA element and end up butchering the rendering of
the page.

Is there some way for me to turn off collapsing an empty element into a
self-terminating element?  I would ideally like to be able to preserve
this behavious elsewhere in the document.

Thanks for your help!

Jason Foster

Re: Suppressing self-terminating elements

Posted by Jason Foster <ja...@uwaterloo.ca>.
> <TEXTAREA><xsl:value-of select="$contents"/><xsl:text>
> </xsl:text></TEXTAREA>

Unless I miss my guess, this will result in a TEXTAREA containing a single
hard return.  We were hoping for something completely empty.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by Frank Chen <fr...@ms5.hinet.net>.
Hi:

One way to this is:

<TEXTAREA><xsl:value-of select="$contents"/><xsl:text>
</xsl:text></TEXTAREA>

Frank