Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by Steve Leland <st...@pouchapond.com> on 2010/01/08 19:25:03 UTC

looking for ideas

I have Axis2/c 1.6.0 building and working nicely with the builtin http server on Win 2008.  Cool stuff - thanks!!

With this working environment now I get to extend the functionality in our web service code.  I would like to create an automated test environment to catch regressions introduced by changes in the business logic, which strikes me as something that others must also have done.

So to those who've already been down this road, would you please tell me if you think I'm heading in the wrong direction here, and maybe why?

I want to 'record' a test by pointing the client at a trace facility, and store the resulting http trace of the request and response in a database.

To run a regression test would involve grabbing the request trace out of the database, programmaticly handing it to the Axis2c engine, then comparing the Axis2c generated response to the response in the database.

First question - is that the best approach?  (where best ==  work correctly and doable relatively fast)

If so, any foresee-able gotchas?

It looks to me like uing a <messageReciever > targetting the raw_xml_in_out_msg_recv might work, but all the doc I can locate is for java's class="org.apache.axis2.receifers.RawXMLInOutMessageReceiver".  What syntax to use there?

tia!
Steve

Re: looking for ideas

Posted by Damitha Kumarage <da...@wso2.com>.
Steve Leland wrote:
> I have Axis2/c 1.6.0 building and working nicely with the builtin http
> server on Win 2008.  Cool stuff - thanks!!
>
> With this working environment now I get to extend the functionality in
> our web service code.  I would like to create an automated test
> environment to catch regressions introduced by changes in the business
> logic, which strikes me as something that others must also have done.
>
> So to those who've already been down this road, would you please tell
> me if you think I'm heading in the wrong direction here, and maybe why?
>
> I want to 'record' a test by pointing the client at a trace
> facility, and store the resulting http trace of the request
> and response in a database.
>
> To run a regression test would involve grabbing the request trace out
> of the database, programmaticly handing it to the Axis2c engine, then
> comparing the Axis2c generated response to the response in the database.
>
> First question - is that the best approach?  (where best ==  work
> correctly and doable relatively fast)
>
> If so, any foresee-able gotchas?
>
> It looks to me like uing a <messageReciever > targetting the
> raw_xml_in_out_msg_recv might work, but all the doc I can locate is
> for java's
> class="org.apache.axis2.receifers.RawXMLInOutMessageReceiver".  What
> syntax to use thttp://wso2.org/projects/wsf/cpphere?
You can write your own message receiver and use it in your service by adding
<operation name="op">
            <messageReceiver class="your_msg_recv"/>
    </operation>
in your services.xml
For example there is a custom message reciever written to load C++
services in WSF/C++ source [1] at src/msg_recv. Write a similar one and
build the shared library and put it into the Axis2/C repository's lib
directory.
Regards,
Damitha

[1] http://wso2.org/projects/wsf/cpp