Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org> on 2005/03/30 19:02:05 UTC

Release date for OJB 1.0.3 - a bug fix release

Hi all,

call me crazy, but I suggest to make a OJB 1.0.3 bug fix release as soon
as possible.

I found a critical typo in OJB.properties file and a bug in the odmg-api
implementation (jira OJB-7/-8). Both are fixed in OJB_1_0_RELEASE branch.

In near future I will check in a refactored version of odmg's named
object handling (will fix a undocumented bug).

So a bug fix release is indicated.
WDYT?

regards,
Armin

Re: Release date for OJB 1.0.3 - a bug fix release

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.

Brian McCallister wrote:
> Erg, just tagged, umh. We should have all fixes for a release in before
> we vote on that release, I think.

yep, this will be the preferable procedure to build a release. But
sometimes it is needed to check in some "last-minute" files (I know it's
evil and other will say "this have to wait till next release", but
nobody is perfect ;-)) or to say "stop I found an critical issue while
last testing".
Thus before the release build starts a "release build at 20:00 pm
today"-post to the dev-list will be helpful.

regards,
Armin

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@chariotsolutions.com>.

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Brian,

Posted by Martin Kalén <mk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@chariotsolutions.com>.
Critical bug fix == ASAP.

Can push it this weekend.

We can update tutorials anytime. Seriously, bug fix type releases can
be really really common, that is okay. I think that if we fix a bug, we
should push the release, immediately.

-Brian

Posted by "Robert S. Sfeir" <ro...@codepuccino.com>.

> what I'd like to avoid is that we release too often. This confuses
> users (I know, I would find it strange) and somehow looks like the
> product is not so stable.

Spring releases quite often, and that doesn't make me think it's
unstable.  I don't think it will confuse users, it will show life in
the project.  Monthly releases is something I suggested a while back
and was told it was not a good idea.  This is also the reason why I
suggested iterations, or sprints, in which we add fixes and features
which have to be done within the sprint (30 days) at which point we
always have a stable product, and we can push out what we have.

This particular bug is nasty and should be pushed out, you can't rely
on users to get their own cvs version, and you can't put out
something that's busted.

Robert S. Sfeir
robert(at)codepuccinoNOSPAM.com
"Make everything as simple as possible,
         but not simpler" - Einstein

Re: Release date for OJB 1.0.3 - a bug fix release

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:39:38 -0500, Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> In X.Y.Z numbering, increments to Z are bug fixes. This is a bug fix =)
>   Increments to Y are new features. Increments to X are
> non-backwards-compatible new features. That is my perspective.

Again, I beg to disagree :-) AFAIK the Z releases are bug fix releases
which are done when there are enough bug fixes to justify a new
release (think: critical mass). Don't get me wrong, if you think that
this single bug fix justifies a release, by all means, go ahead. But
what I'd like to avoid is that we release too often. This confuses
users (I know, I would find it strange) and somehow looks like the
product is not so stable.
E.g. spring releases Z versions every month or two, though not only
with bug fixes but also with added features. And spring 1.2 differs in
some incompatible ways from 1.1 AFAIK. Same goes e.g. for Struts.

Tom

Re: Release date for OJB 1.0.3 - a bug fix release

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.
In X.Y.Z numbering, increments to Z are bug fixes. This is a bug fix =)
  Increments to Y are new features. Increments to X are
non-backwards-compatible new features. That is my perspective.

In terms of releasing regularly -- I would agree for new-feature
releases (1.1 being next), but frankly bug fix releases should be made
ASAP. We *can* so we *should*.

-Brian

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jakob Braeuchi <jb...@gmx.ch>.
hi all,

if this one is critical, then we have to do another release asap :(
otherwise i'd like to have a release every one or two month.

jakob

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.
Critical bug fix == ASAP.

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
>>So a first pre-release may possible in 4 weeks.
>>What's the status of the new metadata classes?
>

> I'm in the process of migrating to betwixt/digester for repository.xml
> I/O, a replacement version (same functionality as exists now, but with
> betwixt) should be doable within in 4 weeks (perhaps with the
> inclusion of the PC ?).

Think that the new "PersistenceConfiguration"-feature have to be
included in the pre-release, because it's the major feature of 1.1. So
if we need more time to make it work I would suggest to postpone the
pre-release.

Armin

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Thomas Dudziak wrote:

>>another crazy idea:
>>
>>make a prerelease for ojb 1.1
>

> +1, though please let's replace Torque with the first version of
> DdlUtils (with a bit of luck the migration should be finished this
> week).

I have to merge millions of files from 1.0.x branch to trunk. Will start
with this when the 1.0.x odmg-api implementation refactoring is finished.

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:09:16 +0200, Jakob Braeuchi <jb...@gmx.ch> wrote:
> hi armin,
>
> Armin Waibel schrieb:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > call me crazy, but I suggest to make a OJB 1.0.3 bug fix release as soon
> > as possible.
>
> within a week or a month ?

a month please, I'd like to finish and include the new tutorials.

Posted by Jakob Braeuchi <jb...@gmx.ch>.
hi armin,

Armin Waibel schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> call me crazy, but I suggest to make a OJB 1.0.3 bug fix release as soon
> as possible.

within a week or a month ?

> I found a critical typo in OJB.properties file and a bug in the odmg-api
> implementation (jira OJB-7/-8). Both are fixed in OJB_1_0_RELEASE branch.
>
> In near future I will check in a refactored version of odmg's named
> object handling (will fix a undocumented bug).
>
> So a bug fix release is indicated.
> WDYT?

another crazy idea:

make a prerelease for ojb 1.1