Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> on 2016/08/20 08:52:47 UTC

a question about "APPLY-4.1.2-patch1.bat"

Hello,

Maybe, i would like to create a German-annotated version of patch, but I do not understand a line of APPLY-4.1.2-patch1.bat.

What is the purpose of line:
IF EXIST "%AOOPATCH%\hwp.dll" GOTO :FAIL2

I have an original version of AOO installed 4.1.2 and there is hwp.dll exists. But that does that the script terminates without the patch to install.

Is that on purpose? Or I do not understand the technical background?

Greetings,
Jörg

RE: a question about "APPLY-4.1.2-patch1.bat"

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Ahah!  That's how to parse a text file!!  I knew that was possible but hadn't dug that deep.

Thanks.

Yes, it would have been better, although it turns out checking on hwp.dll was needed too.

I don't think we need to change at this point.  Presumably folks won't try this on post-4.1.2 releases :).

Thanks again,

There are some future utility cases where the parsing of text will be important.

Posted by Oliver Brinzing <Ol...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]

> Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 *does* *not* install hwp.dll.  It
> should not be there.
>
> That is one of the ways that we can determine that the patch
> is likely being applied to 4.1.2 and not an incorrect
> version.  hwp.dll was removed as part of the resolution of
> CVE-2015-1774,
> <http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2015-1774.html>.
>
> If your version of 4.1.2 was obtained from the openoffice.org
> download page, it is safe to delete hwp.dll.  If it has an
> earlier date than other files (such as tl.dll), that means it
> is probably left-over from the install of an earlier AOO version.
>
> Please confirm if that is the case.
>
>  - Dennis

I had an older version of the installation file (File Date openoffice1.cab was 28-09-2015), no idea how this happened.
I have now downloaded the latest installation file and everything is OK.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

[orcmid]

I had a machine with AOO 4.1.1 installed.  It still had hwp.dll installed.  That hwp.dll file was dated 2014-08-03.  I installed AOO 4.1.2 en-US (from the official archive) on Windows 10 and the file hwp.dll is no longer there.  The install did not retain any of the AOO 4.1.1 files.

If there is an hwp.dll in the project-distributed AOO 4.1.2 German Language version, there is a problem.

Please confirm that your hwp.dll was not installed by AOO 4.1.2 (which has files dated 2015-10-21).

 - Dennis
[ ... ]

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.