Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steffen Heil <li...@steffen-heil.de> on 2008/04/01 00:58:25 UTC

RE: Top mail servers

Hi

> I would suggest investigating several different MUAs and
> deciding which one best balances the capability you need with
> the pain of configuring it.  Properly setting up an MUA,
> *any* MUA, is not simple.

I agree with this, if you replace MUA with MTA...

However, my personal preference is definitely exim 4.x.

It's very fast, relyable and flexible.
The configuration language is even turing complete...

Be aware, that it's initial configuration may be a huge step.
On debian/ubuntu you get a multi-file configuration by default, which is
good, if the package is updated.

However I found it more easy to do administration using a single-file
config. (you may start copying the auto-generated config from the multi-file
system to /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.)

Regards,
  Steffen

Re: Top mail servers

Posted by Alan Chaney <al...@compulsivecreative.com>.

Steffen Heil wrote:

> It's very fast, relyable and flexible.

Agreed.

> The configuration language is even turing complete...
>
> Be aware, that it's initial configuration may be a huge step.
> On debian/ubuntu you get a multi-file configuration by default, which is
> good, if the package is updated.
>
> However I found it more easy to do administration using a single-file
> config. (you may start copying the auto-generated config from the multi-file
> system to /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.)

Heartily agreed! I messed around with the multi-file administration
scheme for 2 or 3 days and then decided that what I really needed was to
understand how exim worked. Having done that, it was easier just to edit
one file. Phil Hazel's book is very useful. After all, he wrote exim.

HTH