Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Ulrich <Ul...@gombers.de> on 2013/12/27 17:25:37 UTC

Withdraw GOGO-Shell

Am trying to get familiar with OSGi. Therefore have right now installed Felix
to my Eclipse Kepler installation following the description as is published
in http://felix.apache.org/site/integrating-felix-with-eclipse.html.
But unfortunatly when starting Felix I see the "GOGO"-shell. This might be
an enhancement but while in my learning phase I would prefer to be able to
use the commonly know commands to control the bundles. For example I would
like to use "ps" instead of "lb" to list the installed bundles.
Is the a command to switch from "gogo" to whatever shell, which allows for
the OSGi-commands?

What might have gone wrong with my installation, that I ended up with this
shell? The installation description doesn't mention it.

Thanks,
Ulrich

Re: Withdraw GOGO-Shell

Posted by Neil Bartlett <nj...@gmail.com>.
Ulrich,

Gogo is in fact the (de facto) standard OSGi shell.

Which other shell do you want to switch to? If that shell is available as bundles then it can be installed into Felix instead of Gogo... though to be honest, you should really just learn Gogo, it will be more helpful in the long run.

Regards,
Neil

Re: Withdraw GOGO-Shell

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 12/27/13, 11:25 , Ulrich wrote:
> Am trying to get familiar with OSGi. Therefore have right now installed Felix
> to my Eclipse Kepler installation following the description as is published
> in http://felix.apache.org/site/integrating-felix-with-eclipse.html.
> But unfortunatly when starting Felix I see the "GOGO"-shell. This might be
> an enhancement but while in my learning phase I would prefer to be able to
> use the commonly know commands to control the bundles. For example I would
> like to use "ps" instead of "lb" to list the installed bundles.
> Is the a command to switch from "gogo" to whatever shell, which allows for
> the OSGi-commands?
>
> What might have gone wrong with my installation, that I ended up with this
> shell? The installation description doesn't mention it.

I have to assume you are talking about the old Felix shell
service...technically, you could probably install the last version of
that, but it hasn't been shipped with the Felix framework for a very
long time now. I agree with Neil, just spend a little time to learn the
new commands, Gogo is much better than the old shell service.

-> richard