Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Pavan Kumar <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/06 10:39:37 UTC

Problem while sending mail using commons email

Hi,

I wrote a custom binding component to send email notifications which used
commons email. The problem is that the code in the component tries to
connect to the "localhost" even though the mail server IP is given and
finally end in a SocketException. The same exact piece of code with out any
changes works if I run it as a standalone java program.

I did some googling and tried options like using the hostname instead of
IPaddress etc, but no use. The connectivity between the system I run this
app and the mail server is also good.

I have set the debug on for the commons-email classes and the trace is as
below

I use the following software
    apache-servicemix-3.0-incubating
    commons-email-1.1

*Standalone java program
----------------------------------------*
DEBUG: JavaMail version 1.3.1
DEBUG: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
D:\Installations\JavaIDEs\MyEclipse\MyEclipse_5.5.1_GA\jre\lib\javamail.providers
(The system cannot find the file specified)
DEBUG: !anyLoaded
DEBUG: not loading resource: /META-INF/javamail.providers
DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-INF/javamail.default.providers
DEBUG: Tables of loaded providers
DEBUG: Providers Listed By Class Name:
{com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun
Microsystems, Inc]}
DEBUG: Providers Listed By Protocol:
{imap=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
pop3=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun
Microsystems, Inc],
smtp=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun
Microsystems, Inc]}
DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-INF/javamail.default.address.map
DEBUG: !anyLoaded
DEBUG: not loading resource: /META-INF/javamail.address.map
DEBUG: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
D:\Installations\JavaIDEs\MyEclipse\MyEclipse_5.5.1_GA\jre\lib\javamail.address.map
(The system cannot find the file specified)
DEBUG: getProvider() returning
javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun
Microsystems, Inc]
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host *"10.193.50.60", port 25*  <<
Connected correctly and mail is sent nicely

220 bgxius-ex01.XIUS-bcgi.ltd Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Wed, 6
May 2009 12:50:09 +0530
DEBUG SMTP: connected to host "10.193.50.60", port: 25

*Same code from within the binding component
*
jar:file:/D:/Installations/J2EE/Servers/ServiceMix/apache-servicemix-3.0-incubating/bin/../lib/optional/mail.jar!/META-INF/javamail.default.providers
DEBUG: loading new provider protocol=imap,
className=com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore, vendor=Sun Microsystems, Inc,
version=null
DEBUG: loading new provider protocol=smtp,
className=com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport, vendor=Sun Microsystems, Inc,
version=null
DEBUG: loading new provider protocol=pop3,
className=com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store, vendor=Sun Microsystems, Inc,
version=null
DEBUG: getProvider() returning provider protocol=smtp;
type=javax.mail.Provider$Type@12be8e1;
class=com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport; vendor=Sun Microsystems, Inc
[...]
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host *"localhost", port 25*  << tries to
connect localhost & results in exception

DEBUG SMTP: exception reading response:* java.net.SocketException:
Connection reset*
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "localhost", port 25

DEBUG SMTP: exception reading response: java.net.SocketException: Connection
reset
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true
DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true
DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "localhost", port 25

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks & Reagrds
Pavan

Re: Problem while sending mail using commons email

Posted by Pavan Kumar <pa...@gmail.com>.
Lars, I got the break through for it. As we expected the culprit was the
geronimo-activation jar. Earlier I replaced  a wrong jar.  Removing the
geronimo's activation and mail jars from the lib and using one from sun did
the trick.

But I still didn't understand what was wrong just with the IP address. I
guess the flow could have been sucessful if the IP was taken instead of a
localhost even with geronimo jars.

Thanks
Pavan

Posted by Lars Heinemann <lh...@apache.org>.

--
http://lhein.blogspot.com

Re: Problem while sending mail using commons email

Posted by Pavan Kumar <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lars Heinemann <lh...@apache.org>.

--
http://lhein.blogspot.com

Re: Problem while sending mail using commons email

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi folks,

the email is a bit strange but if the response reaches Pavan I'm fine
... :-)

+) are you sure that your are using the same mail implementation for
your local tests and your component?
+) Have you tried upgrading JavaMail - I see "JavaMail version 1.3.1"
and this version is old

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Madhavi Kumar <ga...@gmail.com>.