Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2008/01/31 21:10:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release planning

It looks like we're closing in on a 1.0.2 release. There has been a
request for an official release that contains the streaming LOB
support, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-130 that is not
yet completely documented and not ported to 1.0.2.

Are there other features in 1.1.0 that are urgently needed and that
can be pulled into 1.0.2?

I'd also like to start thinking about JPA 2.0 work. How should we
handle this? Seems that we would want to call the release that
supports JPA 2.0 OpenJPA 2.0. When we do start working on this, should
we use the trunk or a branch for it?

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [DISCUSS] Release planning

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Patrick and Craig,

On Jan 31, 2008 8:04 PM, Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > It looks like we're closing in on a 1.0.2 release.
>
> Indeed. I'm planning to go through the unscheduled bugs tomorrow to
> get a feeling for other issues that need to be in 1.0.2, and start the
> process of trying to get to 1.0.2 readiness over the next weeks.

FYI...   We just discovered another change yesterday that needs to be ported
to 1.0.2.  We're doing some final testing and verification, but it should be
ready to go today...  OPENJPA-419.

> > There has been a
> > request for an official release that contains the streaming LOB
> > support, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-130 that is not
> > yet completely documented and not ported to 1.0.2.
>
> As ever, I'm hesitant about porting new features to maintenance
> releases. It could be that parts of OPENJPA-130 are easy enough to
> port in a harmless way, but until I see evidence of that, I'd vote no
> about adding new features to 1.0.2. Instead, we might want to start
> figuring out what needs to be done for 1.1.0.

I agree with this approach.  We should discourage the introduction of new
features in the service streams.  Having said that, I know there are always
exceptions.  Like the discussion that Patrick and I are having about
performance improvements.  But, we should treat them as exceptions and
justify them individually instead of just accepting new features into the
service stream.

> > I'd also like to start thinking about JPA 2.0 work. How should we
> > handle this? Seems that we would want to call the release that
> > supports JPA 2.0 OpenJPA 2.0. When we do start working on this, should
> > we use the trunk or a branch for it?
>
> That does seem natural.
>
> I think that I prefer making a branch, since we won't be able to
> release JPA2 for some time anyways. Then, we can just track JPA2
> compliance in that branch, and do other new feature / perf work in
> trunk.
> -Patrick

Mike and I were just talking about this yesterday.  Given that we put new
features into trunk all the time, adding new function based on JPA 2.0 into
trunk might give us some added benefit from an exposure and testing
viewpoint.  If we don't explicitly publicize JPA 2.0 functionality (ie.
claim JPA 2.0 compliance), putting these new features into trunk should be
an okay approach.  But, on the other hand...

...  As Patrick points out, JPA 2.0 isn't going to be done anytime soon.
There may be additional need from a customer viewpoint to get more
functionality available that is "limited" to the JPA 1.0 spec.  Especially
if there are any programming model changes.  I'm not aware of any yet, but
that doesn't mean they won't happen in the future.

So, I would propose a hybrid approach.  I think a separate branch for JPA
2.0 would be a good way to start.  But, as features get solid enough, we
should consider moving them to trunk so that they would get more usage and
exposure.  We shouldn't have to wait until JPA 2.0 is complete before moving
individual features to trunk.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: [DISCUSS] Release planning

Posted by frankca <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Patrick,

That's awesome, sorry for not checking first. Could you please give the ETA
for 1.0.2 release or a link to where it has the release schedule for future
reference?

Thanks,
Frank

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

That's already in 1.0.2.

-Patrick

On Feb 1, 2008 3:36 PM, frankca <fr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
> >
> > Are there other features in 1.1.0 that are urgently needed and that
> > can be pulled into 1.0.2?
> >

> I'd really appreciate if this critical bug get fixed in 1.0.2 which is
> already fixed in 1.1.0 TRUNK
> (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=584463):
> http://www.nabble.com/Programmatically-pagination-does-NOT-work-with-OpenJPA-1.0.1-to13717713.html
>
> Best regards,