Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Prashant Kumar <pr...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/15 20:48:52 UTC

PIP-95 Live migration of producer consumer from one cluster to another.

Dear Pulsar community.
I am happy to submit a proposal for *Seamless migration of live traffic
from one cluster to another cluster.*

Marked down version of the proposal
<https://github.com/pkumar-singh/pulsar/wiki/PIP-95:-Live-migration-of-producer-consumer-or-reader-from-one-Pulsar-cluster-to-another>
.
https://github.com/pkumar-singh/pulsar/wiki/PIP-95:-Live-migration-of-producer-consumer-or-reader-from-one-Pulsar-cluster-to-another

Requesting your support.
Thanks and regards
-Prashant

Re: PIP-95 Live migration of producer consumer from one cluster to another.

Posted by Joe F <jo...@gmail.com>.
 Is this mostly addressing a topic cutover or a whole cluster cutover?

What is "pulsar-admin clusters set-generation --generation <number>"

That seems to dangle in the doc, without any explanation

Posted by Matteo Merli <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Prashant,

I think that this proposal could be worded in a slightly more general
way. Other than migrating to different clusters, it could be very well
useful for migrating to a different topic name, or to move the topic
to a different namespace.
For that the redirection could also include a "topic" field.

I couldn't find in the doc the reason why we need to add a
`generation_id` field to MessageIdData. In general we should try to
avoid that in order to avoid introducing incompatibilities, or in
general to grow even more the message id structures in most cases.

Matteo

--
Matteo Merli
<ma...@gmail.com>