Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Barbara Post <ba...@ifrance.com> on 2002/08/29 15:39:32 UTC

I get it too !! OutOfMemory error... (Tomcat killed...)

Suddenly my sitemap doesn't compile. I have been doing other things for an
hour, cocoon was "asleep".

I look into Tomcat's output window and read :

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
        <<no stack trace available>>

Great ! I never had such a bad thing before !

JDK 1.3.1, C2.0.3, Tomcat 4.0.4 with default catalina options, Windows NT
SP6.

Task manager says : java.exe: 99408 kb (this was Tomcat), java.exe: 50540
kb.

I restart Tomcat (did not clean localhost's files), it compiles my sitemap
and goes up to 67056 kb.

Now I am loggued in (sunRise) and it uses 73524 kb.

Guess I have to change catalina options a bit...

Re: I get it too !! OutOfMemory error... (Tomcat killed...)

Posted by "Ilya A. Kriveshko" <il...@kaon.com>.
Don't forget that the amount of memory your Java application uses at any
given moment is not necessarily how much it needs. Instead of occasional
memory leaks which happened to sloppy C++ programmers, in Java
everything is a memory leak, but there is a recovery mechanism. So, if
you let your Java program use 1GB of RAM, it WILL fill all of it with
garbage before HAVING to do garbage collection. So, don't use your
TaskManager figures as a measure of Cocoon/Tomcat's memory consumption.

If you are running a JProbe or an equivalent package, you can get an
accurate reading of how much emory is actually used just after you
trigger garbage collection. You can also trigger GC programmatically as
well:

Runtime.getRuntime().gc();
System.err.println(Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory() -
Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory()) ;

Search through the mail archive to see where you can put
-Xmx<upthewazoo>M option to the JVM.
--
Ilya