Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Troy Cregger <tc...@kennedyinfo.com> on 2006/06/27 16:54:46 UTC

File owner/group

Hi,
I was trying to find the answer to this in the book but didn't see
anything about it, is there a way I can preserve the owner/group values
of the files that I check into subversion?

Some of my files need to be owned by apache for instance. When I check
them out, the owner becomes me.

Thanks

-T

Re: File owner/group

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 27, 2006, at 18:54, Troy Cregger wrote:

> I was trying to find the answer to this in the book but didn't see
> anything about it, is there a way I can preserve the owner/group
> values of the files that I check into subversion?
>
> Some of my files need to be owned by apache for instance. When I
> check them out, the owner becomes me.

Vanilla Subversion does not preserve permissions or ownership. There
is a branch of Subversion that does. You would have to read about it
or compile it yourself and see if it does what you need.

http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn/branches/meta-data-versioning/

Re: File owner/group

Posted by John Rouillard <ro...@renesys.com>.
On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 12:54:46PM -0400, Troy Cregger wrote:
> Hi,
> I was trying to find the answer to this in the book but didn't see
> anything about it, is there a way I can preserve the owner/group values
> of the files that I check into subversion?
>
> Some of my files need to be owned by apache for instance. When I check
> them out, the owner becomes me.

You can't change ownership on many systems without being root. The
owner/groups comes from the uid/gid under which you create (check out)
the file.

That being said I record user/group/mode info in the svn properties
for the file and then use a script (run as root) to extract that info
and apply it to the files. Alterntively, you could do your checkouts
as apache when you are in the apache tree.

--
				-- rouilj

John Rouillard
System Administrator