Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org> on 2014/04/28 08:19:05 UTC

Future of Frequent Pattern Mining

Hi,

I'm resending this mail to also include the users list. To wrap up: We
currently have a discussion whether our frequent pattern mining package
should stay in the codebase. The original author suggested to remove the
original implementation and maybe retain the FPGrowth2 implementation.

I'd like to ask our users here on their opionion, is anybody opposed to
removing the frequent pattern mining code from Mahout? Please shout out.

--sebastian

Re: Future of Frequent Pattern Mining

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
I'm very much in favor of this idea.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
I don't think we have to extract the code, people can pull it out of the
0.9 releases sources which are in svn.

We have not heard any opposition from a production users of this code
here, nor has someone stepped up to maintain this code (and we've asked
for the second time), so let's finish what we already aimed for in the
0.9 release and remove it.

I'll prepare a patch.

--sebastian

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Hi Sebastian

Thanks for your reply. I agree that makes sense.

I am not familiar enough with the codebase of Mahout, but generally
speaking it might make sense to "modularize" it somehow, such that
algorithms like the fpgrowth code could be downloaded separately
independent of the core codebase.

Thanks

Michael

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.