Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sonny Sukumar <ah...@hotmail.com> on 2003/10/22 21:38:59 UTC

Tomcat/Cocoon mysteriously stop responding...

Hey guys,

I've had the persistent problem with Tomcat/Cocoon over some months now
where when I go to bed my Tomcat/Cocoon server is functioning just fine and
I can access all web pages, both static and dynamically generated (from a
backend db).

But when I wake up and try to access the pages the connection just times out
and I get a totally blank response.  This doesn't happen every single day,
but often enough to be annoying.  We're soon going live with the site, so
this happening **at all** is a scary thought.  I can't seem to figure out
what the problem could be.  Is it Tomcat or is it Cocoon?

Restarting Tomcat almost always solves the problem.  I've had this problem
through all my Tomcat upgrades (4.1.12 all the way to 4.1.27 now) and my
Cocoon upgrades (from 2.0.x all the way until latest 2.1.2).

Has anybody else experienced this?  Any idea what it could be?

Thanks!

Sonny

Re: Tomcat/Cocoon mysteriously stop responding...

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Sonny Sukumar dijo:

> Hey guys,
>
> I've had the persistent problem with Tomcat/Cocoon over some months now
> where when I go to bed my Tomcat/Cocoon server is functioning just fine
> and  I can access all web pages, both static and dynamically generated
> (from a  backend db).
>
> But when I wake up and try to access the pages the connection just times
> out  and I get a totally blank response.  This doesn't happen every
> single day,  but often enough to be annoying.  We're soon going live
> with the site, so  this happening **at all** is a scary thought.  I
> can't seem to figure out  what the problem could be.  Is it Tomcat or is
> it Cocoon?
>
> Restarting Tomcat almost always solves the problem.  I've had this
> problem  through all my Tomcat upgrades (4.1.12 all the way to 4.1.27
> now) and my  Cocoon upgrades (from 2.0.x all the way until latest
> 2.1.2).

I noted this too. I did some research some time ago (after 4.1.27 release)
and AFAIK, this is a currently tomcat bug that seems to be already solved
on the current Tomcat CVS. The next Tomcat 4.1.x release will include the
solution. I don't know when they will release, but I hope soon it will be.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: Tomcat/Cocoon mysteriously stop responding...

Posted by Chris Wilkes <cw...@ladro.com>.
On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:38:59PM -0700, Sonny Sukumar wrote:

> Restarting Tomcat almost always solves the problem.  I've had this problem
> through all my Tomcat upgrades (4.1.12 all the way to 4.1.27 now) and my
> Cocoon upgrades (from 2.0.x all the way until latest 2.1.2).

While I can't help you out with why tomcat is dying, what you can do to
help out the situation is use two or more machines to do some load
balancing.  This also helps you out if one of them goes out to lunch and
you need to restart it.

To do so look into mod_jk (I couldn't get JK2 to work for some reason)
for Apache.  It knows enough to only forward requests via AJP13 to live
hosts, so if one of your Tomcat instances dies then it goes to the other
one.

Granted your users on the just dead tomcat loose their state
information, but this is an easy fix to get you around your immediate
problem.

Also you could have a process that checks to see if tomcat is running
and if not, restarts it.  I start most things under Daemontools
(http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html) which provides this service.

Also you might want to look into if Jetty (which ships with the latest
Cocoon) has the same problem you're seeing.

If you need some pointers on this send me an email and I'll walk you
through it.  My instructions aren't polished enough to post to the list
:)

Chris